Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can I tow a Camper with my JK?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can I tow a Camper with my JK?

I would like to get a small camper for my camping trips, I love camping BUT,
as a sensitive girl I's hard for me using the "Woods toilets" or public toilets...

So... I wish to have a small HTT (Hybrid Travel Trailers) with a dissent toilet and shower.

Please note, I tried my dad pop-up camper, that has a folding toilet and a curtain a few times, BUT No thanks

I have a JKU Rubi,
Jeep owners manual claim that I can tow 3500lb.
Can I tow a 3500lb camper (Gross camper weight) safely, OR is it to much?!

Please keep in mind that-
When I camp, it's usually no more then 2-3 nights, and I always pack light (used to fit it all in my old 4 door Cavalier with passengers)
Tarrin type: Prairies, small hills (Manitoba & Kenora area, Ontario) with a Top-speed limit of 55mph.

I promise you that I will not get soft and keep sleeping underneath the stars

Here are a few Campers models that I really liked:

KZ Sportsmen Classic 16RBT
Unloaded Camper weight = 2,405lb
Gross camper weight = 2,700lb
Dry Hitch Weight = 298lb

Jay Feather X17C
Unloaded Camper weight = 2,925lb
Gross camper weight = 3,500lb
Dry Hitch Weight = 475lb

Starcraft TravelStar 175RK
Unloaded Camper weight = 2,880lb
Gross camper weight = 3,500lb
Dry Hitch Weight = 475lb

*Edit
Spree Escape E16RBT
Unloaded Camper weight = 2,400lb
Gross camper weight = 2800lb
Dry Hitch Weight = 293lb

Last edited by Dream Girl; 07-06-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you stay within the rated towing capacity it shouldn't be an issue. I seen 6 JK's towing campers and pop ups this weekend. Just remember the lighter the better. You may want to kill the A/C when climbing grades but I think it should be fine. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

If these guy's are towing boats, you could tow a camper.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...nd-Boats/page4
Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Serg5000
As long as you stay within the rated towing capacity it shouldn't be an issue. I seen 6 JK's towing campers and pop ups this weekend. Just remember the lighter the better. You may want to kill the A/C when climbing grades but I think it should be fine. Good luck.
If you have an auto trans do not kill the a/c. Put it on full cold with low fan.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AirJordan613

If you have an auto trans do not kill the a/c. Put it on full cold with low fan.
Why do you recommend this? I've never heard this before. I've always killed the A/C to reduce power loss due to the compressor. Just curious...
Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Originally Posted by Orangeav
Why do you recommend this? I've never heard this before. I've always killed the A/C to reduce power loss due to the compressor. Just curious...
To Orangeav:
He was kidding,
When towing, the Auto tranny getting hot easy if you don't have any after market Tranny-cooler installed, which I don't (Yet)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dream Girl

To Orangeav:
He was kidding,
When towing, the Auto tranny getting hot easy if you don't have any after market Tranny-cooler installed, which I don't (Yet)
I sure hope he was, I have a manual, and still I cut the AC.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dream Girl
To Orangeav:
He was kidding,
I don't think he was kidding!

The condenser on the A/C unit, is pulling heat away from the Auto tranny fluid in the JKU setup.

By keep the fan on low and system on "max ac" you are allowing the most temperature exchange to happen between the condenser and the auto tranny fluid, because you are losing a minimal amount to the "conditioning" of the passenger compartment temperature.

You are def losing power to tow with, to the running of the compressor, but this is compromise you want to keep the tranny happy.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Other Towing & RV Forums are not recommend me to tow those Campers, claiming it's too heavy for our Jeeps...

You should not exceed a "Gross camper weight" of 2700-2800lb with a vehicle that is rated 3500lb, remember the 80% rule.
Also please keep in mind, the "Unloading Camper weight"of those campers are not included some of the important options, like:
a/c, spare tire, microwave, furnace, water heater & awning...
If that's true, then all I can say is
Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Huntphreak
I don't think he was kidding!

The condenser on the A/C unit, is pulling heat away from the Auto tranny fluid in the JKU setup.

By keep the fan on low and system on "max ac" you are allowing the most temperature exchange to happen between the condenser and the auto tranny fluid, because you are losing a minimal amount to the "conditioning" of the passenger compartment temperature.

You are def losing power to tow with, to the running of the compressor, but this is compromise you want to keep the tranny happy.
You said "in the JKU setup"... does this apply to 2 Door as well? If you are worried about overheating the tranny (hot day on the trail) we should keep the ac on?

Quick Reply: Can I tow a Camper with my JK?