Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Can I tow a Camper with my JK?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I towed my utility trailer a few weeks ago with a load of tile and supplies and I was right at the 3500# mark. I was able to hand load the trailer to get the weight perfect, I would NOT WANT TO PULL THAT KIND OF LOAD long distances with the jeep. Compared to pulling the same load with my 1/2 ton ram pickup is night and day. I have come to the conclusion the jeep really isn't designed to pull heavier loads. I had a smaller pop-up that maxed out around 2500# and it wasn't bad to pull with the jeep.

If I were going to pull a heavier trailer I would make sure I had air bags, good trailer brakes, transmission cooler, weight dist hitch, sway control, and correct gearing. Or get a nice tent and camp at campgrounds with toilets and showers.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by duneslider
I had a smaller pop-up that maxed out around 2500# and it wasn't bad to pull with the jeep.
Well, this Spree Escape E16RBT is only 2400lb (or 2800lb Gross camper weight) Almost like a pop-up camper! no?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
As you said in post #1, 3500 lbs.
It will be slow on the hills, though. Overdrive off, too.
And you have to pay attention to the frontal area. That rating is 32 square feet, (2.97 square meters).
As said here, the problem in towing is the frontal area of the trailer. A popup or boat pulls easy at 3500#

The kind you are looking at pulls not so well because of the wind resistance hitting the front of the trailer.

Essentially you have a brick towing another brick.

That towed trailer seems like it weighs more because of the larger area up front that the wind can hit.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

We have an 18ft Classic Cruiser Camper we pull behind our 4dr JK. Even though the tow is 3500, just remember all the "stuff" you put in the trailer. The weight adds up pretty fast...especially carrying cases of beer!

One thing to do is NOT fill up your water tank before you leave. Why carry all that extra weight. Instead fill up at the campground when you get there.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

I am not planing to tow more then 2800lb Gross camper weight.
and I always pack light.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been towing a popup this summer, it's been interesting. Mine is about 2350 empty, so you can imagine that gear, food, passenger etc will add up fast. I have heavy bumpers and 305/70 tires that changes things a bit also. My true tow rating is probably closer to 3000#.
I have added a transmission cooler and will be regearing next month to help with power on the road. By no means is it an ideal tow vehicle, but it can be done. It will struggle on hills, and head winds. The lightest most aerodynamic camper you can be happy with is what you should go for.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Don't have one... but it is light!

http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroo...fications.aspx

1200 lbs... unloaded. -13 ft
1700 lbs... 16 ft...

Not cheap... but I haven't looked at campers in ages!

Last edited by Sunnysideup; 07-06-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

My pop-up is about 3500lbs loaded. The jeep struggles a little, I just take my time. Going up big hills I'm only going about 40mph, I just get in line behind the big trucks pulling big campers. I still would much rather be in my jeep than a truck!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one that is close to the first one on your list! I tow my 18' a few hundred miles at a time. But I have a trans cooler, E brakes & tow sway bar keep the OD off. Just remember it is a brick pulling a bigger brick! I get about 7 MPG at 65 MPH. The first photo is old I have 35' on the jeep now.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rhinonemec
My pop-up is about 3500lbs loaded. The jeep struggles a little, I just take my time. Going up big hills I'm only going about 40mph, I just get in line behind the big trucks pulling big campers. I still would much rather be in my jeep than a truck!
Yes, I had to learn that quick, take your time and also prepare for your next hill climb before you get into it.
It is a bit unnerving to have some big F250 towing a RV behind you while climbing a long rolling hill, as your speed drops from 70 mph to 50 mph and you can't do anything about it.

Quick Reply: Can I tow a Camper with my JK?