Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ceramic Brake Noise

Old 06-19-2019, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Brake Noise

I just replaced my rear Rotors, Calipers, Mount, Pads and Hoses due to a sticking caliper.

I went with ceramic pads as those typically are more quiet because of less dust. At least that’s been my understanding.

I went through process of embedding the pads. I was getting a squeal at specific points of pressing brake pedal, seemed to not matter speed.

i went through and added more brake grease, or whatever you call it to the slides and any contact points. I was careful to not get on rotors or pads.

im still getting a squeal, but it’s quieter, and a bit more high pitched than previous.

Anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions? I’m losing my mind
Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Did you put a small amount of brake grease on the back of the pads where they contact the piston/caliper? The contact faces where the back of the pads mate should be flat, no burrs. Did you use new spring clips (4 per caliper, where tabs on the pads ride in the caliper) with some brake grease? Having done all that, some pads are just not made that well -- What brand/model/part number are they?

Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I use disc brake quiet on the pads and never had them squeal. I've done about 6 full brake jobs with the stuff. Four on my JK and two on my girlfriends WJ.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for your answers. I took them in to make sure I didn’t screw anything up. Mechanic verified all was good and suggested re-embedding the pads. I did that, several 45-60 down to 5mph, hard, and haven’t had any squeal in 2 days

if if it comes back I will try that brake quiet stuff you suggested.

Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2019, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default It’s back

Well, after 2 days of quiet this damn brakes are squealing again, every stop on my way home from work.

Its td a bit warmer today, but humidity seems same, and even if it was changed, I don’t see it making THIS much of a difference.

To answer an earlier question they are Duralast Gold Ceramic pads from Autozone.

I just bought some disc brake quiet. I’m going to clean pads and put that on back of them. We will see what happens.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brake Noise