JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Changing the air filter? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/changing-air-filter-46468/)

Hellbound13 07-02-2008 08:29 PM

Changing the air filter?

Anyone have a write up on how to change the air filter? Also how often should this be done and does anyone have a part number?

Dizzyliz 07-02-2008 08:41 PM

I went to the dealer and ordered it - but I bet they make an identical at the Auto part Store.

It pops right out :)
Back in too :brows:

dremex 07-02-2008 09:06 PM

I just switched mine out last weekend. I'm not sure what the suggested change out rate is but when I was going over my Jeep checking to make sure everything was good for a wheeling trip I noticed that the bottom of my filter was completely brown and the bottom of the air box had some mud in it, the top had plenty of dust but you could still see the white. I decided to go ahead and swap it out but it took me awhile to find a filter since they're still relatively new. I ended up grabbing a STP filter (SA10348) for about 20 bucks from auto zone.

Yucca Patrol 07-03-2008 04:03 AM

Jeep.com has a coupon for a dealer oil change which includes the oil, oil filter, and an air filter for $18 right now. I don't know what the filter itself costs from the dealer, but that is one heck of a deal.

jfreeddo 07-03-2008 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol (Post 578537)
Jeep.com has a coupon for a dealer oil change which includes the oil, oil filter, and an air filter for $18 right now. I don't know what the filter itself costs from the dealer, but that is one heck of a deal.

Well, several jeep dealers here in town, but the website says there aren't any within 60 miles that are participating in this "deal". So, no deal for me, what a crock that they'll advertise it but not one dealer in town is doing it.

Yucca Patrol 07-03-2008 04:50 AM

Sorry to hear that. I didn't know that the deal was not at every dealership. I am going to go have it done next week for $18 and then again on the last day of the promotion at the end of August for good measure. . .

berg 07-03-2008 04:50 AM

A Mopar filter runs about $15.00

towtruck 07-03-2008 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol (Post 578537)

Thanks for the heads up!

I just printed my coupon, and the price is now $24.95 :eek2:

towtruck

Yucca Patrol 07-03-2008 05:14 AM

Maybe the price varies by region since you have to enter your zip code?

But thanks for the heads up on the price increase and I'll print an extra for my late August change.

pearl-drum-man 07-03-2008 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hellbound13 (Post 578308)
Anyone have a write up on how to change the air filter? Also how often should this be done and does anyone have a part number?

It is super easy, you can literally do it in a minute. Just pop the clips that hold the top of the airbox down, take note of the position of the filter, pull it out and replace with the new in the same way the original was seated, & re-snap the clips.

I did one change on mine early on thanks to a bunch of dusty wheeling. At the time the dealer was the only source and it was less than $20. By now I would think the auto parts stores should be carrying other brands to use. Your maintenance schedule in the owners manual will tell you when to replace, but you may need to change sooner if you've been in a lot of dust and the filter is looking dirty.