Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

changing spark plugs and wire advice

Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing spark plugs and wire advice

I'm posting this so if people search on this topic they will buy the wires at the same time as the plugs. I also suggest changing them at 50K because I changed them at 75K and all the gaps on the plugs were 20% larger than spec.

I couldn't find the wires at my local shops and ended up just getting the plugs. I didn't go with anything fancy just the same Champion double platinums that are them OEM. Anyways you can hardly get the wires off and I busted 4 out of 6.

I was able to find the OEM replacement wires at O'Reilys for $19.96 but the had to ship them in the next day.

Also I suggest putting anti seize on the plugs as many of them were pretty hard to get out and die electric grease on the plugs or caps. Also I looked up the torque spec on the plugs its 16 ft/lbs. A helpful tool for the rear passenger side is to have two swivel sockets and extensions this makes that plugs much easier to remove and torque down.

Plug PN: Champion double platinum RE14PLP5

Last edited by Wings fan; 05-23-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
This is good advice, but do you have part numbers for the plugs? Just to make the process that much quicker so we can all get back to
good point edited....it's all about the

And a little beer will help route the wires behind the engine what a tight squeeze for you hand!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely good advice. Just to add to it, the computer system requires a specific spark plug resistance, so its best to stick with the factory plug.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mpg

After you changed the wires and plug, did you MPG go up any???
Old 05-24-2011, 01:53 AM
JK Freak

Well I will need to report back on this one. I started it Saturday and couldn't get the wires until Monday so today will be the first time I have driven it.

I hope the MPG goes up with all the maintenance I have done on it in the last two weeks.

Rotated tires
changed oil
Changed diff oil
Had radiator flushed
Had trans flushed
Put Lucas gas treatment in
changed serpentine belt
Cleaned air filter
did a fender chop
and also the plugs and wires

I will report back on the MPG but it would be difficult to say what any increase was a result of. However the gap change from the old plugs to the new ones seemed pretty significant.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been thinking about changing out my plugs soon. I have 58K on the Jeep. Thanks for the advice about the wires. I hate running back to the parts store once I get started for something like that.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 65000 on mine not sure if they have ever been changed. Think I need some new plugs and wires?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just thought the same last weekend. I'm at 48k and never changed plugs. I was thinking of going with Bosch platinum +4 plugs and a set of wires. Should I go with factory plugs? I don't mind spending the money.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 AM
JK Freak

I went with the factory plugs and wires because I reviewed a lot of posts on here with mixed reviews. But the main reason I decided to start this thread is it was very common to see people were breaking the factory wires pulling them off.

I read a few posts that were not Positive about Bosch and E3's so decided to trust the original engineers of the engine. I also was considering the zero ohm wires but heard they created a radio interference. At the end I decided factory settings were best. I drove the Jeep yesterday and can report no electric noise, the engine does run smoother, and there is no significant MPG increase.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2009 with 49,417 miles

Bosch Platinum 2 - Part # 4314

WalMart - $26.64 set - $9.00 mail in rebate = $17.64 -or- $2.94 each

Took me no more than 45 mins to change them out. The passenger side closest to firewall is the worst one. Take your time.

I was very careful removing the plug wires. Gave them each a little twist to break the seal and then pulled right off. Grab the boot not the wire.

Jeep runs much smoother now. Doesn't seem to hunt as much at idle speed. Will see if any difference in MPG.

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs and wire advice