Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Charging issue

Old 01-20-2019, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging issue

Hey fellow Jeep nuts.
2011 JKUR 6 speed.

last week my Jeep just died on my wife. Like went dead cold when she was driving. She said the battery warning light came on, then all the other warning lights, and then dead. The battery was about 3.5 years old and I figured it just decided to not take a charge. Well, swapped a battery in, trying to get it home and the Jeep died again! Ok so. Alternator was probably next in like, ok, got a new alternator. Still the Jeep won’t charge. It could run, but runs off the battery slowly till it dies. I used a multi meter to verify it wasn’t charging at the posts.

There is a oreilly down the street , so I had the kid check the charging system, and came back as a bad voltage regulator. I know the voltage regulator is in the PCM.

Is there anything you all can think of I may have overlooked before I buy another pcm?

i also verified all grounds by battery and by pcm are tight and clean.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

My only thought would be to install a Big 3 power wire upgrade. Check out youtube if you haven't heard of it, it's pretty common with the audio folks. Quite a few have reported that the stock grounding is kind of weak and have had problems with the starter turning due to it not pulling enough current. I've never had any problems charging or starting on my 2009 JKU but I've installed the big 3 the 1st year I got my JK new because I have a pretty elaborate audio system installed which would dim the head lights on deep bass note hits. Going from memory, I ran an additional 4AWG RED wire from the alternator to the B+ battery terminal, an additional 4AWG black wire from the NEG battery terminal to the interior passenger side fender connection, and from that fender connection to the frame I ran an additional black 4 AWG wire. That should effectively increase the charging capabilities of the battery and increase the ground strength from the Neg terminal to the chassis. I ran these 4AWG wires in parallel with the existing factory wires, which I believe are 8-10 AWG, which when ran in parallel with the added 4 AWG wires provide you a 2 AWG wire charging and grounding system. It's a pretty simple upgrade and one that's worth it, even if it doesn't solve your current problem. My headlights no longer dimmed after doing that upgrade and I haven't had any charging issues over 9 years of ownership.

However, based on your symptoms it sounds like your alternator needs to be replaced. After you start your Jeep, you should be able to remove the B+ connection from the battery and it should continue to run, which is usually a good check to see if your alternator is good/bad.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-21-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

I have heard of the big wire upgrade, I had something like that done on my renix era Cherokee because the grounds were wayyy under engineered. However, the audio system is still bone stock, and I have no aftermarket lights or electrical on it.
i tested the new alternator and it checked good.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Quite a few have reported that the stock grounding is kind of weak and have had problems with the starter turning due to it not pulling enough current.
Just saying.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

I think you are condemning the computer way too fast. Our jeep generators, at least my '14 and i think your 12 has 2 wires coming from the PCM. One is Gen Field Control and one is Gen Sense. The Gen Field Control is a pulse width modulated 12v (really batt voltage). So really you need to validate that signal is occurring from the PCM. An oscilloscope is best as you can see a square wave of 0 then 12v back and forth. Since most people do not have that, you may try a regular voltmeter. it won't be fast enough to see the voltage turning on and off but you should see the meter trying to average a reading or "bouncing" around trying to find a voltage. If you saw 0, that would be an issue.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

The other tests you should do is a voltage drop test between the alternator battery feed and the battery positive post. Then a voltage drop test between the case of the alternator and battery negative post (not the clamp but the post). Both should read almost 0...like less than ..25 volt. Google the procedure for voltage drop testing. This will allow you to verify if you have good cables and grounds to the alternator.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

I have tested for voltage drop, volts are the same. I used a Milwaukee multimeter also, not a cheap harbor freight.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 12bravo
I have tested for voltage drop, volts are the same. I used a Milwaukee multimeter also, not a cheap harbor freight.
That's good. Out of curiosity, what is the voltage reading at the battery with the car running? How about when the engine is at 2k RPM?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

I dont think it changed much when I had it reved up, I think it was constant
Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 12bravo
I dont think it changed much when I had it reved up, I think it was constant
Was the voltage different with the engine running? Or was there do difference between battery voltage with the jeep off and when it's running?

Quick Reply: Charging issue