Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"Check Engine" error PO128

Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Check Engine" error PO128

I am trying to find out if I was ripped off at the dealer for repairing this. They replaced the thermostat and flushed the anti-freeze and replaced it. For that one thing it was $432.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If the problem is gone, then you didn't get ripped off as badly as it seems.
Each code has a list of possible causes. It takes time to go through the list.
Too often the dealer will not go through the list, but instead just throw parts at it, charging the owner for each unnecessary part and labor. That's getting ripped off.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-29-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

From my experience with my dealership, they wanted $185 just for the OBD2 scan. So considering that cost on top of any further diagnosis, labor and parts, $432 doesn't seem too unreasonable from the dealership for the work they did. This is one of the major reasons I purchased a BlueDriver OBD2 scanner which can read everything the dealership can read, and do my own repairs and diagnosis, or if I can't do my own repair, I may tell them to replace certain parts based upon my diagnosis and research of what I determined needs to be done. That gets me away from the $185 OBD2 scan charge, but then the responsibility falls on my shoulders if the repairs I authorize doesn't fix the problem.

My local shop charges $80 for the OBD2 scan, and their labor rate is typically 1/2 the dealership hourly cost. So you have a few options in the future. Do it yourself, take it to a shop and pay about 60% of dealership costs, or pay the dealership rates.

How were you able to determine the original problem logged a P0128 code? If from the dealership, then yeah....you likely paid around $185 for them to tell you that piece of information.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-29-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Well, surely you were advised before hand what the cost was going to be, and decided to go through with it. Any service at the dealer is a screw job. 2 gallons of coolant = $50, a thermostat = $25, and should have just replaced coolant sensor at same time for $25, few gallons of distilled water.....the rest is just labor. Either do the labor yourself, or pay for the convenience of not doing the labor yourself. It's an easy DIY job......but I guess if you don't DIY things.....maybe intimidating?
Old 11-04-2018, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default "check engine" code PO128

been having this problem 2 months since lifting my 2012 rubicon 3.5". I recently bled the coolant and replaced the thermostat. I tried to erased the code but it wouldn't let me. any advice?
Old 11-17-2018, 02:30 PM
JK Newbie

i had the check engine light with P0128. I replaced the thermostat for 20$ and flushed the system and added new coolant for 20$. So that being said you could have done it yourself for about 40$ total plus your time in labor. I disconnected the positive terminal from the battery for 5 min and the check engine light has been off for about 48 hours now. We shall see if it comes back.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default Aggravating

Had this code come up in south Florida. Changed the temp sensor on the block and didn't have any issues for about a year. (33'' tires with leveling kit) Moved to Colorado, lifted "Warchild" 2 1/2", put 35'' tires on, installed Flowmaster exhaust, Flowmaster cold air intake, and the code came back. No coolant leak, sensor intake is operational, coolant level is perfect, and after about two weeks, the code came back. I cleared the code and it lasted about two more weeks.

Suggestions?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by JDub1306
Had this code come up in south Florida. Changed the temp sensor on the block and didn't have any issues for about a year. (33'' tires with leveling kit) Moved to Colorado, lifted "Warchild" 2 1/2", put 35'' tires on, installed Flowmaster exhaust, Flowmaster cold air intake, and the code came back. No coolant leak, sensor intake is operational, coolant level is perfect, and after about two weeks, the code came back. I cleared the code and it lasted about two more weeks.

Suggestions?
I had this code as an issue before, always when really cold outside, and usually when visiting my dad up in Colorado (cold again). I changed my sensor, and the code would still pop up time to time. replaced thermostat and never came back. I suspect that my thermostat was getting sticky in the open position, not allowing my engine to come to temp quick enough to satisfy the computer. I think faulty thermostat is way more likely than faulty sensor.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:16 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks brother. If it comes on again, I'll replace the thermostat. So far it's been three days and no code. I appreciate the response.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@resharp do you think the thermostat sticking open could be a no heat or poor heat/inconsistent heat inside vehicle cause ? Some days I've got it blazing hot, others not so much mostly on super cold days. And the code is also come and go depending on the outside temps

Quick Reply: "Check Engine" error PO128