Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear end problems.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end problems.

Ok I need some help. Not really sure what to do. I go out to my Jeep to remove my tow hook in order to sell it and I notice some oil of some sort on the rear diff. It seams to be leaking from the bottom bolt. Im not sure what my next move should be.

The last time I took my Jeep off road was 07-14-07 I don't think that caused it.

Take to the dealer?
Remove the cover and try new gasket and filler up?
If so whats the torque for the cover bolts?

I wanted to get your takes on it.

Thanks for the replies in advanced.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well if it developes to have a drip on it then I would say you should just pull the cover and resilicone it. To take it to the dealer for that would be a waste of your time. Also a single drop of oil creates a pretty large spot so it may not be leaking as much as you may think.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
dsr
JK Newbie

Had the same problem and my diff looked just like the one in the pictures. I wimped out and took mine to the dealer to be resealed. Apparently after talking to the dealer, this is a very common problem and they had seen alot of them to be resealed. DC didn't put a gasket in and just used a sealant. I went to the dealer to have them fix it because if there were ever an issue with water contamination or failure for what ever reason, I wanted to have it on file that it had been leaking under the warranty period. It only took the dealer .4 hrs to reseal. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The last time I took my Jeep off road was 07-14-07 I don't think that caused it."

Interesting, because on the close up of your rear axle I can see where the diff cover flange is all bent and rashed from dragging over rocks...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:26 AM
JK Junkie

i think my front diff is soing that... not a drip per se... but a constant "wet look" to the bottom portion of it
Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
"The last time I took my Jeep off road was 07-14-07 I don't think that caused it."

Interesting, because on the close up of your rear axle I can see where the diff cover flange is all bent and rashed from dragging over rocks...
Hmmm. I could make a case for that as well. You may be ready for a bit of an axle cover upgrade. See Solid, or Riddler for examples. Might I suggest a LubLockr gasket as well? "Oh, darn! I have to buy some more stuff for my Jeep!"
Old 08-10-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

its a jeep, if its not leaking, its out of fluid
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea money is a little tight or I would grab some rear diff covers.

The leak just started in like the last 3-4 days cause I have to park in different spots of the driveway often and there is no oil in the last spot I had used. Its been pretty hot lately around 103-110. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I did find some silicone in the driveway. I took it with me and gave it to the service guy.

This is the same place who did my alignment and didn't adjust the steering wheel. I had to adjust it the next day on my own. So I hope they don't skimp out on me now.

If I thought off roading caused it I would have just resealed it myself but I honestly don't thing off roading was the cause.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If bad comes to worse, take a look at those LubeLockrs. They run about $15-16 and are supposed to be able to deal with slightly off-perfect.

Good Luck and try to kep cool
Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

You definitely caused it. Peeled the bottom edge of the cover dragging it over rocks. Happened often on my old tj. The stock 8.8 cover was a joke, so I upgraded it.

Quick Reply: Rear end problems.