Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clock Spring Replacment help

Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock Spring Replacment help

Anybody ever change a clock spring. I was going to do it since the dealerships busy. btw I think Its a clockspring. Today my steering whelel spun more tiems than necessary while adjust the steering extension in my column. The wheel went out of control and snapped a ribbon looking thing with copper wirees off a plastic harness mount under steering wheel. The airbag llight, esp bas, traction all camne on/ No horn, no cruise, and sweaking... from my research sounds like a clock spring and possible a new wire ribbon that needs saderd back on..????? any thoughts
Old 10-26-2008, 09:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep your clock spring is broken... the copper ribbon is the ''clock spring''. you might as well get it done at a dealership, all those lights have set codes that will have to be cleared out, there are several little tricks to changing a clock spring, plus several specialty tools, tamperproof torx, wheel puller, etc. The clock spring is a common name for this part, there really are no clocks or springs involved.....
Old 10-26-2008, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks I think i got it figured out. Im going to ask the dealershipo tomarrow about doing it under warranty then if not Ill do it myself with some JK friendly help!!

Last edited by Superman1023; 10-26-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman1023
thanks I think i got it figured out. Im going to ask the dealershipo tomarrow about doing it under warranty then if not Ill do it myself with some JK friendly help!!
Let me be the first to paraphrase the warning in the book:

WARNING:

To avoid serious or fatal injury on Jeeps equipped with airbags, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service.

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service.

This is the only sure and safe way to disable the SRS.

Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment, serious injury, or death.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-27-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

My clockspring ripped a while back as well and I had the dealer replace it under warranty. They showed me what they were putting in and it was a self contained cassette type thing... so, if you wanted to do it yourself, the actual replacement would be pretty simple. The lights and codes, on the other hand, I haven't a clue
Old 10-27-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks...yea my dealer is doing under warranty as of now. Im glad. the part is 225 alone. Im sure I could figure it out after all the other mechanical adventures Ive tackled recently. they said an hour of labor. So Ill let themdo it so the lights are all cleared. thanks again for help.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

I changed the clockspring in my Cherokee, it was cake. wouldn't think the wrangler would be much different
Old 10-29-2008, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

done deal. free of charge fixed lights. they found out my sterring column was modified for bl but said they "never" saw it.... haha
Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superman1023
done deal. free of charge fixed lights. they found out my sterring column was modified for bl but said they "never" saw it.... haha
By the way what's bl?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

body lift?

Quick Reply: Clock Spring Replacment help