Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clock spring unwound, can it be rewound?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock spring unwound, can it be rewound?

A couple weeks ago I installed cruise control in my Jeep but the dealer had ordered the wrong steering wheel cover, so we cut a notch in my old cover until I get the correct cover.

Today I picked up the cover and thought I could go ahead and install it real quick during my lunch, so I was in a rush (big mistake). After disconnecting the battery and waiting a couple minutes I removed the steering wheel airbag, which was so much easier since I've done it the first time and knew what I was doing, or so I thought. After that I removed the center bolt and rocked the steering wheel back and forth to remove it.

Because I was in a rush and I didn't unplug the airbag or horn switch before removing the steering wheel (how stupid was that?!?) when the steering wheel popped off the clock spring came slightly unwound. Trying to get everything disconnected ended up unwinding the clock spring the rest of the way.

The clock spring does not appear to be damaged at all. The cover is now sitting on top of my steering wheel column. I didn't know about the cassette and tried winding the clock spring back around, that is when I saw the cassette on the floor.

Is there some kind of diagram on how to wind the clock spring back up? I'm guessing that because I didn't hook the battery back up that the computer won't know anything went wrong once I get it back together, right?

I've never had to deal with a clock spring before so forgive me if I appear a little naive.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the exact same thing when I installed CC. You're going to have to buy another one, and unfortunately, they arent cheap. IIRC, mine was about $240. I tried to rewind mine, then it started getting tangled and tore apart... Sorry man...
Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you must replace it, not only would you have reassemble it, you would have to recenter the tape in the cassette. Ain't gonna happen....
Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah, I tried to put it back together and got the error on my dash. Took it apart and realized there was no way I could put it back together. When I ripped open the cover and saw how it monitors the steering wheel position, I knew there was no way I could get it set up just right. Damn.

I ordered a new one from DiscountMoparParts.net but the only part number I could find was for a 2008 JK, and mine is a 2009. Is anyone familiar with these and know if the parts are the same?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Just got a message from Steven at DiscountMoparParts.net:

The clockspring is on back order from Mopar at this time. I am making some calls to other dealers in an effort to locate one for you. I will let you know how I make out with this.
There is no way he will find one at another dealership.

Damn.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

broke mine too got it back in there everything looked ok but got the error on the dash till I got a new one
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Excuse what may be a basic question but what the heck is a clock spring?
I'm planning on doing the cruise control mod and I want to be sure not to damage this elusive (and apparently expensive) part.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

man it sounds like its a good thing i just keep a brick with me for cruise control because i am sure that if i tried to install it i would end up screwing up the clock spring
Old 08-16-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

The clock spring controls more than your airbag. The clock spring is a ribbon of wires to control your airbag, horn and cruise control. It is the connection to any switches or controls on your steering wheel like the radio controls on other vehicles. Attached is a picture of a clock spring ribbon.

The reason why you can't just wind the ribbon up and slap it back together is because of the sensor inside the clock spring encasing. The casing is connected to a gear with tabs on it, and the sensor determines the position of the steering wheel by the tabs. If the gear isn't set centered before putting the encasing back together your ESP light will stay on. I tried this and my ESP light didn't turn on until I put the Jeep into gear.

I've read here where some people had it covered by the warranty. I guess it depends on the service department's attitude and if you added anything to your Jeep like cruise control.

Installing cruise control wouldn't be too difficult if it's done right. My mistake was removing the steering wheel with the airbag and horn still plugged in. If I had unplugged them before pulling the steering wheel I wouldn't have to replace my clocks spring. I was in a hurry; I should have waited until I had more time to make sure I don't make the same mistakes. If you follow the Installing Cruise Control instructions you shouldn't have any problems.

I received another message from Steven at DiscountMoparParts.net. He found a clock spring at another dealer and shipped it to me on Friday.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default Clockspring rewind

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
you must replace it, not only would you have reassemble it, you would have to recenter the tape in the cassette. Ain't gonna happen....
It is absolutely possible. I just done one less than an hour ago on a 08 Sahara. No problem at all. Customer drove off over an hour ago, after i took ot for a spin with no issues. The trick is understanding how it works. Man put it together,man can fix it. Ill give you a tip. One side of thr data tape needs a half of a loop headstart, seated into the inner locking hoop.

Quick Reply: Clock spring unwound, can it be rewound?