Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a clunking noise...

Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a clunking noise...

when I put the Jeep into first gear and move forward quickly or come to a stop fairly quickly I hear a clunk that sounds like play somewhere in the drivetrain. It sounds like it is just behind me in the center, so I am thinking it's possible that it's near the transfer case. At first, I thought it was just one of my control arm bushings but I've since inspected and replaced all of them. For me to get a look at the transfer case is a pain in the ass since all my heavy Rock Hard skids connect to the transfer case skid and I'd have to remove them. If anyone has had this before and knows what it is likely to be, it would be helpful before going through the trouble of removing everything and then finding out its something else.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you make sure everything is torqued to specs... Also, check your drive shafts...
Old 05-22-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Did you make sure everything is torqued to specs... Also, check your drive shafts...
I'm experiencing the same issue on my 2 door X 6 speed. I also have a TF 2.5" Coil lift.

Is there anything to inspect besides just visually? I mean checking for play somewhere? Something that moves more than it should?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mokos, Check your rear JKS trackbar, the jamnut /bar maybe hitting your rear springs if they are bowed pretty good.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Mokos, Check your rear JKS trackbar, the jamnut /bar maybe hitting your rear springs if they are bowed pretty good.
Thanks, I have the wedges in, so I don't think they are hitting, but I'll double check. The OME rea coils are pretty wide.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
I'm pretty anal about torque specs and I am always under there inspecting stuff. I didn't see anything obvious with my driveshafts. What should I look for? There's rubber bushings over all the moving parts on the stock driveshafts.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JTURBO
I'm experiencing the same issue on my 2 door X 6 speed. I also have a TF 2.5" Coil lift.

Is there anything to inspect besides just visually? I mean checking for play somewhere? Something that moves more than it should?
be sure to let me know if you figure it out. I'll do the same.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have an auto? If so put it into drive from park, and see if you can hear a clunk, then shift it into reverse, does it clunk now? If so you have a u-joint that has gone bad.
As well make sure that all the things that you have in the back are secured down, and not rolling around. Ask me how I know that one , don't forget to look in the jack cubby hole.
What was the last thing that you installed and started hearing the noise look there as well. Check the mounts for the exhaust system, they break and allow it to move around more then it should. Check your shocks. As well make sure the rear tire is firmily in place.
Trying to think what else......
Old 05-23-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pirate
Do you have an auto? If so put it into drive from park, and see if you can hear a clunk, then shift it into reverse, does it clunk now? If so you have a u-joint that has gone bad.
As well make sure that all the things that you have in the back are secured down, and not rolling around. Ask me how I know that one , don't forget to look in the jack cubby hole.
What was the last thing that you installed and started hearing the noise look there as well. Check the mounts for the exhaust system, they break and allow it to move around more then it should. Check your shocks. As well make sure the rear tire is firmily in place.
Trying to think what else......
I'm pretty sure all the obvious stuff is not the problem. I have a 6 spd. I can feel the clunk in the floor under my foot and hear it just behind me towards the center of the jeep. it never happens when hitting bumps like a rattle of some sort- just forward and back movements. It didn't happen after installing anything. It developed over time.

Does anyone know how the transfer case is mounted? Should there be a little play between the TC and the frame? While I was trying to get my driveshaft out I noticed the whole TC could wiggle a little when I pushed on the flange. felt like it was mounted on rubber joints or something. I assumed it was normal.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am getting a clunking noise when accelerating from stop, and occasionally while accelerating out of a turn at about 10-20 mph. I have an automatic. I recently installed the TF Spring leveling kit. I have loosened all of the suspension components, after checking for play, checked the bushings, and the torqued back to spec. The noise is coming from behind and to the passenger side. When I was standing next the jeep and had my wide accelerate from a stop heard the a creak followed by a clunk. I was unable to pinpoint the noise.

The rear is only lifted and inch, I don't think it's the suspension, not because I installed it, but because I don't hear it when going over the speed bumps in our neighborhood. Or any other bumps at higher speeds.

It did not start until about a month or so after installing libeling kit. Haven't heard it in reverse, I will double check though.

Last edited by GeoJeep33; 06-20-2011 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: a clunking noise...