Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

clutch master/slave cylinder DIY tips

Old 07-02-2014, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch master/slave cylinder DIY tips

I needed to replace my clutch master and slave cylinders the other day and didn't find a lot of info out there on how to accomplish the job. What follows are my thoughts to those tackling the project:

1. If you hear creaks when you apply the clutch you are probably going to need to replace either (or both) the master or slave cylinder sooner rather than later
2. Build a pressure bleeding tool: The DIY $20 brake bleeder
3. There's a little rubber seal that goes with the hydraulic line that likes to stay in the master/slave cylinder when you remove the line. Make sure you transfer this to the new component otherwise you won't get a seal at all.
4. The bleed screw on the slave cylinder is really hard to turn under pressure. I found it best to keep the pressure really low and take the bleeding slow.
5. Make sure the Jeep is level or even front down a little otherwise air can be trapped in the slave cylinder.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have on doing this job.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

My clutch is creaking like a mofo but i was thinking it was the pressure plate (I got a crap load of mud in the pressure plate, tore it apart and cleaned it and have had issues here and there since then, although creaking just started recently). How did you know it was your master/slave cylinder? Mine creaks in gear, in neutral, and when off.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just attempted to do this tonight and my hose that feeds to my slave seems to blow off once i start to bleed the system. I am wondering if I have put the rubber piece in the right way since it was stuck in my old cylinder and I didnt get a chance to see the orientation when it came out. Did the lip on the rubber piece go to the bottom or the top of the hose?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Clutch Master Cylinder R & R

Does anybody have a write on how to remove and replace the clutch master cylinder. Especially tricks or lessons learned. Getting ready to go through this and I'd like to be prepared some what.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xusia
Does anybody have a write on how to remove and replace the clutch master cylinder. Especially tricks or lessons learned. Getting ready to go through this and I'd like to be prepared some what.

Thanks!
x2 mine creaks like a mother to
Old 09-03-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

I just experienced this the other day on the way back from Austin. Is there a more robust master cylinder, or some way to increase the reliability of this component? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also about to undertake this before I move across the country... Again...
Old 09-04-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TurbineSurfer
I just experienced this the other day on the way back from Austin. Is there a more robust master cylinder, or some way to increase the reliability of this component? Thanks.
Not sure how well this would work with stock brakes (there may be issues with differential force applied front and rear, or maybe the computer can deal with that) ...

Teraflex 4303450 - TeraFlex HD Brake Master Cylinder for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Quick Reply: clutch master/slave cylinder DIY tips