Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

M/T or A/T Tires

Old 09-18-2017, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M/T or A/T Tires

I have a stock 2014 Rubi Unlimited, I currently have the BFG M/T, My question is should I switch to A/T's, 95% of my driving is city/hwy. Gone trail riding a couple times and have done a little bit of rock crawling once or twice. Thoughts? also will I have the same issues with A/T cupping?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Given that it sounds like it's your DD, you'd probably be happier with an A/T tire, such as the BFG KO2, which will still give you very good performance on the trail.
Since my JKUR is reserved for weekends and off-road trips, I'm sticking with KM2 tires as they handle the rocky trails of the desert so well.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Consider a hybrid like the Ridge Grappler or Duratrack. I switched from Trail Grapplers to the Ridge Grapplers and I am very happy with them. I can't tell the difference off road to tell you the truth.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I had cupping with MT. About 43,000 miles ago I switched to duratrac. I am extremely pleased with them. I've only rotated 2 times over 43,000 miles and have no unusual tire wear. They are just a great all around tire that look nice also. I have 2012 jku and live in NJ where we get a mix of weather. You will be happy with the duratrac. Many on here would agree with me.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I'm an MT guy myself, and I love my Trail Grapplers. That said, no wintery conditions here in Texas really, and my jeep is no longer a dedicated daily driver....more of a part-time for enjoyment and off roading. If you are most concerned with onroad comfort and control, you're probably best with a good AT tire. If an AT just ins't quite the aggressive "look" you desire, we're fortunate to now have some pretty nice hybrids on the market. I'd agree with the Ridge Grappler comment above. Know someone with these tires and they are very happy. Performs great offroad, has a nice aggressive looking sidewall, but also performs nicely on the pavement.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Many AT's perform well offroad, and many MT's perform well onroad. It comes down to your personal opinion and overall usage.

I currently have a set of 37" AT's (Falken) gathering dust in a storage unit, and a set of 37" MT's (Cooper STT Pro) that are sitting under my jeep being used. For me, no issues running a more aggressive tire as a daily driver.

As far as the cupping goes, rotate the tires and you won't have to worry about it. I buy through discount tire, so I go in for the 'free' balance/rotate every 3k and have never had a problem. If you don't want to rotate, a less aggressive AT is probably the better choice.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Why buy a rubi. when you don't 4 wheel ?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the same boat as you, 95% or more road, this is my DD. I went with A/T tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3). I also went off-roading with the stock AT tires, Bridgestone Dueler AT. I think these AT tires are a lot tougher and more capable of off-roading than most people here give them credit. Honestly I think many Jeep folks are far more interested in how the tires LOOK than how they actually perform.

The thing is an excellent A/T tire (like the Coopers I have) will outperform any M/T by an enormous margin on the road. Braking, handling, noise, wear, you name it, if you are driving on the road the A/T is going to smoke an M/T. In some off-road conditions an M/T will outperform the A/T, but in ALL road conditions the A/T will beat the M/T. In some off-road conditions the A/T will outperform the M/T! If you're driving 95% on the road why would you choose a tire that underperforms for 95% of your driving just in case it outperforms the alternative in 5% of your driving, part of that time? Makes no sense to me.

I thin it boils down to this: mostly mud & rock crawling? M/T. Mostly anything else? A/T.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks to all who replied, I looked at the Duratrac today and I think when I'm ready that's the direction I'll go.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainman1
Thanks to all who replied, I looked at the Duratrac today and I think when I'm ready that's the direction I'll go.
If you can wait two months, you may want to see if there are any Black Friday deals. I did all 4 wheels several years ago. I got the duratracs for $605 delivered from simpletire.con, then paid $70 for install at a good year place.

Quick Reply: M/T or A/T Tires