Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Clutch replacement, exhaust question

Old 09-30-2017, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch replacement, exhaust question

I'm following along this writeup... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ite-up-204276/

I've completed these steps...
7. Disconnect exhaust
a. Remove front 4 bolts where headers meet "Y" pipe. 15mm x 4bolts (2/side)
b. Disconnect O2 sensors between headers and "Y". 4 wiring harness plugs, 2/side one high, one low

I've removed the first exhaust hangar right behind the crossbar, and the exhaust is resting on the crossbar now and has a little bit of play to it.

I'm trying to drain the transmission fluid, but I still don't have enough space for anything more than just the bit head...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln7DTSA.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	675180

Do I need to completed remove all the exhaust hangars so it is completely free? Both to help get to this drain plug, and to be able to drop the transmission in the next few steps. Or do I just need a different way of getting the drain plug out?

-Sarkis-
Old 09-30-2017, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

I got the drain plug out.

Question still stands for dropping the transmission, do you normally remove all exhaust hangars, or just the one?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you loosen your flange bolts (the 4 you've loosened) and disconnect the rear section (along with that single hanger right there) then you'll be able to use a ratchet strap to drag the rear portion of the exhaust back and you'll have the wiggle room you need.

There is no need to remove more hangers than just the one right there at the side of your transfer case.

Quick tip- pulling the transfer case apart from the transmission makes it easier to drop. Also, you can allow the transmission to tilt down until it almost touches the ground so you get access to that top bolt on the transmission.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If you loosen your flange bolts (the 4 you've loosened) and disconnect the rear section (along with that single hanger right there) then you'll be able to use a ratchet strap to drag the rear portion of the exhaust back and you'll have the wiggle room you need.

There is no need to remove more hangers than just the one right there at the side of your transfer case.

Quick tip- pulling the transfer case apart from the transmission makes it easier to drop. Also, you can allow the transmission to tilt down until it almost touches the ground so you get access to that top bolt on the transmission.
Thanks for the response!

When you say "disconnect the rear section", do you mean removing the rear #3 exhaust clamp in this diagram?
Click image for larger version

Name:	bd6703ea209f3f1887b60682147d9c5f.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	675313

The 4 bolts and 1 hangar are removed, and it has some play to it, but not enough to get it out of the way of the transmission.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yes, clamp #3 in your picture is what I'm referring to. You can take a ratchet strap and put a couple wraps on your exhaust then pull it back towards your axle (wrap the strap around the axle too.)

There's some monkeying to be done but the transmission does slip out. Fiero88 I think is the username on YouTube where the guy does a good job chronicling dropping the transmission for the clutch.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

I couldn't find the Fiero88 user, but searching for him led me to a different video I hadn't seen before that did pretty much exactly what you said (at the 24min mark)...
https://youtu.be/QfsFFEwNDD0?t=23m54s The front part of the exhaust came off rather easily (compared to everything else), and the transmission is now down.

Thanks!

-Sarkis-

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement, exhaust question