Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cold start ABS/ESC/HDC lights come on temporarily

Old 12-11-2017, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start ABS/ESC/HDC lights come on temporarily

I have a 2012 JKU Sahara with a lift and a bunch of other upgrades - all older than a few years. For some reason, over the past week, when I leave my driveway the Hill Descent flashes, ABS and ESC come on & stay on. They start once I've left the driveway and get up past about 10/20 mph. The HDC goes out, but the other two stay on until the next time I turn the Jeep off. Once I do that, they are on when I start the jeep and go out a few seconds after I pull away. It's happened every morning for 5 days now. I just passed 150K kms (about 90-95K miles).

I've gone through a couple of front hubs over the years, regeared from 3.21s to 4.56, and installed Yukon air lockers last year. No issues with ABS/ESC/HDC, other than when the hubs went, everything clear once new hubs installed.

Any ideas?

Btw, I live near Toronto and the temp has recently dropped to around freezing - I can't imagine that would cause flaky sensors since I've let it sit long enough during the day to cool everything down.

TIA.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Our jeeps do some whacky things when they are not provided with the expected power input from the battery. My guess is the battery is getting weak, or the connections are flaky. When my battery died, many random lights in the dash were doing random things as was the speedometer. Many in here have experienced similar things with bad batteries or connections.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Using a code reader that can pull ABS codes, see what it reports. You may have a bad clockspring. Or a bad wheel sensor. I'd also say unit bearing, but you say you changed the hubs before. Of course, I've seen them get damaged from driving in rivers that have quicksand banks (makes the water silty). Bent tie rod or drag link can cause similar lights.

If it's the clockspring, check warranty extensions and recalls. I've had mine replaced twice for free: Once at 147K miles under a free, extended warranty on the clockspring, the other time at 210K miles as part of the shroud replacement recall.

Quick Reply: Cold start ABS/ESC/HDC lights come on temporarily