Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Confirming bad Clockspring

Old 07-11-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confirming bad Clockspring

I think I have a bad Clockspring, but for a $250 part, I want to be fairly certain before I replace it.

Symptoms:
-airbag light is on
-after making a turn the airbag light turns off briefly, then chimes and turns back on
-cruise control still works fine
-horn still works fine
-EPS light is on but has been on for sometime before airbag light came on, I have EPS Disabled per the instructions in the owners Manual, which involves a series of steering wheel manipulations. Maybe the clock spring was damaged during the EPS procedure? I had thought that maybe the EPS light was supposed to be on when the EPS was disabled(in addition to the EPSOFF message every time I start the Jeep ).

What are the odds that replacing the clockspring will fix the airbag issue?
What are the odds that replacing the clock spring will fix both the airbag issue and the EPS light?
-wwiifirearms
Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had to replace mine about 2 months ago and I had the same symptoms as you. It ended up costing around $450 or so.

Last edited by Moochie; 12-22-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll likely replace it myself if it isn't going to be covered. I sent an email to Chrysler. I doubt they will do anything for me, but it is worth a shot.
-wwiifirearms

Last edited by Moochie; 12-22-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

I have the airbag light & dealer confirmed it was the clockspring. But Down Under they want $1170 for the part alone! (Ordered one from online Mopar parts vendor for $240 delivered. )

If you did the Hokey pokey descibed in the handbook to disable the ESP, the skidding light does stay on as well as the regular ESPOFF at startup. I know as it did this when I drove it that way for some time, well before the airbag light started coming on. I had since re-enabled it as well.

Can anyone point me at a writeup of how to replace the damned thing in an '08 now? Seems my Google-Fu is weak at the moment!

Last edited by Banshee; 12-22-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wondered what a "clockspring" was and the search landed me at this thread. I just got a letter today from Chrysler stating that they are extending my warranty on my used 2007 for this very part. It also states that if you have replaced this part you are elegible for a reimbersement. All you need is the form they sent and the receipts..HTH
Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ditto clocksping warranty extended to 10 yrs or 150,000 miles on my 2007
Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Smiley
Ditto clocksping warranty extended to 10 yrs or 150,000 miles on my 2007
Got a letter in the mail about this a few days ago. My Jeep started having these symptoms about 8 months ago and then all of a sudden just stopped and so far I haven't had a single thing pop up so I don't know if I should just go ahead and have it replaced or wait until it starts acting up again
Old 01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to share a quick clock spring story. Not trying to jump off topic but thought this may give some of you a laugh.

Quite a few years ago when I worked as a service advisor my co-worker advisor was a lady who was new to the whole business and didn't really have much knowledge of vehicles. Also, she was very country and not really into a lot of the lingo most of us use.

One day a customer brought their vehicle in with the complaint of the air bag light coming on. It was diagnosed as clock-spring failure and this is how the explanation was given to the male customer from her:

Her: Sir the technician has finished diagnosing you and you have a bad cock spring.
Customer: Excuse me?
Her: Yes sir we had to order you a new cock spring.
Customer: Chuckles and says mam I do not understand?
Her: Sir, your cock spring has went out in the steering wheel.
Customer: Has look of WTF? on his face and breaks out into laughter.
Her: Why is it funny? It works to help deploy your bag in the event of an accident. We ordered it and it will be coming tomorrow.
Customer: Tears falling out of his eyes almost in the floor from laughing so hysterically.

Me: (thought I had better step in at this point as other customers were also hearing this and getting in on it) Sir, we will have your vehicle ready to go tomorrow. Lets get you a rental vehicle and get you on your way.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got the letter too and already have an appt to get my Jeep looked at today for the ESP/BAS light that won't go out. Thought is was a wheel speed sensor, now I'm kinda waiting for the airbag light to come on...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rhinonemec
Just got the letter too and already have an appt to get my Jeep looked at today for the ESP/BAS light that won't go out. Thought is was a wheel speed sensor, now I'm kinda waiting for the airbag light to come on...
Took my JK into the dealer for the Cock Spring,,,, I mean Clock Spring. Well it came out of the show on December 28th good to go. On the 6th of January I get a letter in the mail stating that the warranty has been extended on this part for 10 year or 150,000 mile. If you have had it done you need the paper work on it. Scan it or mail it to Chrysler Care Center and they will send a refund on the cost. It stated this was for 2007, and 2008 JK's. Let me know if any one wants a copy of the letter, and get my your email.

Last edited by bodee714; 01-11-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Confirming bad Clockspring