Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Coolant leak jeep jk 2008

Old 09-26-2017, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak jeep jk 2008

I have a coolant leak that seems to be coming from two different locations on the jeep. It is a 2008 JK 3.8L, 137,xxx on it. I pressure tested the jeep last night for 30 minutes or so and had the psi drop maybe 1.5 lbs. I am noticing a leaking coming from the back of the motor down to the bell housing and collecting there. I also have a leak from the front of the motor which seems to be coming down and collecting on
The oil filter. I checked the oil and noticed no milky residue inside. Any suggestions as to what it may be? I am thinking intake manifold.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Rednroll's thread here might be helpful to you....he's going through coolant leak issues in the last week as well.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-area-343770/
Old 09-26-2017, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Rednroll's thread here might be helpful to you....he's going through coolant leak issues in the last week as well.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...e-area-343770/
Thank you! That is certainly helpful. I’m putting dye in it tonight Just to confirm my hypothesis.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbr1991
Thank you! That is certainly helpful. IÂ’m putting dye in it tonight Just to confirm my hypothesis.
Sounds like the same as my problem. Step-by-step provided in my thread if you're a DIYer. Hopefully, you don't run into the same manifold bolt problem as me.

Do the upper gaskets along with the bottom, while you're at it.

It was $85 of gasket replacement parts but a sh*t load of work replacing them.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-30-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Sounds like the same as my problem. Step-by-step provided in my thread if you're a DIYer. Hopefully, you don't run into the same manifold bolt problem as me.

Do the upper gaskets along with the bottom, while you're at it.

It was $85 of gasket replacement parts but a sh*t load of work replacing them.
Thanks man, I went through and read the step by step on it. Terrible time with the manifold bolt. I already ordered the gasket set from rock auto for $15 I also have to replace the exhaust manifold too, cracked on the driver side. So I have a busy week ahead of me. Thanks for the write up!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak jeep jk 2008