Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cruise Control Inoperable. Mechanic needs some help.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Cruise control issues usually trace back to a faulty clockspring. Typically you'll receive a code related to the module indicating the steering angle sensor is off, abs lights, or a combo of both.

It's a pricey gamble, but probably one I'd do. The cruise control stitch you bought was probably $140, the clockspring is just under $200.
The cruise control switch was around $40 from rockauto. I'll look into the clock spring. The local dealership wants $260 for one...
Originally Posted by jedg
Not even sure this will work for you... but as crazy as it sounds... honk your horn for like 5 seconds and then see if the cruise works.
I've seen that a lot. Also seen hitting the steering wheel. I've tried both... Didn't get lucky with that.
Originally Posted by jedg
Hey. It actually worked for me. The cruise and the radio controls on the steering quit working. Found a post saying honk the horn for 5 seconds. Everything started working.

Not sure if that's a clockspring or a TIPM symptom but it worked.
What is the TIPM?
Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
testing the clocksprimg would be my choice.. if the CC switch already was bad, sounds like it has gotten left out in the rain at one time or another in its life, which it seems the clockspring is a fairly common failure from moisture..

-Christopher
Thanks, yea the switch felt real spongy and sloppy so I wanted to replace it anyways. Looks like I'm going after a clockspring. I started messing with it more lately. When I can get the CRUISE light to come on, it immediately goes out when I turn the steering wheel. I previously thought it was because I started rolling, but I noticed that it will stay on and I can turn it on and off on demand until I turn the steering wheel... So I suppose clock spring it is. I wonder if it'll be harder to change than a GM? The GM ones are easy for me because I've done a thousand of them. hah We will see I guess. Any links to a reliable clock spring? I don't want to get one from my dealer. Too $$$$$
Old 02-17-2017, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have the exact same problem on my 2013.

Did you ever figure out a solution?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 AM
JK Freak

Default Clock spring

There's some vid's on You Tube on changing one. Doesn't look difficult just time consuming.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

My steering wheel controls have been out of commission for a while, cruise, radio and menu buttons. No horn either. No steering wheel button lights. If I go press my horn for 5 seconds will it all start working again?! I'm going to go try right now!

In the unlikely event that this does not work, could this be a clockspring issue? I don't know what a clockspring is, but I'm going to google it after I go sit on the horn.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
My steering wheel controls have been out of commission for a while, cruise, radio and menu buttons. No horn either. No steering wheel button lights. If I go press my horn for 5 seconds will it all start working again?! I'm going to go try right now!

In the unlikely event that this does not work, could this be a clockspring issue? I don't know what a clockspring is, but I'm going to google it after I go sit on the horn.
Yep, it's possible/ likely. My friend had the left side of his steering wheel lighting go out.....clockspring was bad. Apparently dew can find its way in there and screw things up.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a recall on my clock spring (2008) haven't made any arrangements to have it changed. Has anyone had theirs replaced under this recall?
Old 02-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yessir- Starr Motors out in Suffolk did mine a couple months ago. They schedule you two hours and you're done. It's an easy fix and if Chrysler wasn't hunting me down trying to get it fixed then I was going to let mine be fine.

Any dealer can handle the recall but I was able to get into Starr quickly and they had the part ready to go. You'll want to call you schedule the appointment and ensure they have the part at that time. You'll need to let them know if you've got cruise and what color interior you've got so they order the right part.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Inoperable. Mechanic needs some help.