Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Damn rattling sound while driving!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn rattling sound while driving!

So this noise started a few days ago. It comes from underneath the jeep and happens when I am accelerating. It is however much louder while accelerating than at a constant drive. It is sort of a buzzing, metal rubbing or rattling sound. It is actually pretty loud too. It does not do it while the car is in neutral or decelerating or even braking. Everything seems to be working fine, like I dont feel it at all, i just hear it. My gears seem to shift and do everything fine. This sound is starting to drive me crazy, so does anyone have any ideas?

I was looking and maybe it's the muffler heat sheild but don't exactly know so all the help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C_GERM
So this noise started a few days ago. It comes from underneath the jeep and happens when I am accelerating. It is however much louder while accelerating than at a constant drive. It is sort of a buzzing, metal rubbing or rattling sound. It is actually pretty loud too. It does not do it while the car is in neutral or decelerating or even braking. Everything seems to be working fine, like I dont feel it at tall, i just hear it. My gears seem to shift and do everything fine. This sound is starting to drive me crazy, so does anyone have any ideas?

I was looking and maybe it's the muffler heat sheild but don't exactly know so all the help is greatly appreciated!
Probably the heat shield underneath the front. Theres some write ups I saw on the forum. The rivets come loose. Some guys were putting a hose clamp on it to keep it from rattling. Need to do a search.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I'll deffinately keep looking And searching.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Freak

Might also be an exhaust bracket that came loose or broke. Know a few guys had one break and it sounded so annoying when I rode with em.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I attempted to look underneath but it got a little dark too soon so couldn't really see anything good. So I'll have to try again tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Try putting duct tape on your door strikers. Mine was making same rattling noise i thought was under my Jeep too. Turned out to be the doors
Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a rattle that only occured at high rpms.. it became somewhat of a shift reminder. Throttle up, rattle starts, shift, throttle up, rattle starts, shift. No rattle while idling or cruising at any speed. A couple weeks ago i wrapped my exhaust in fiberglass heat wrap, from where the headers bolt to the pipes all the way to where the two pipes join near the trans support beam.

NO MORE RATTLE!

Take a look at the exhaust cross pipe that runs very close to the trans support beam. It has a heat flange welded to it. I suspect this is/was the source of my rattle. Second suspect is the catalytic converters.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by PANGMAN
Probably the heat shield underneath the front. Theres some write ups I saw on the forum. The rivets come loose. Some guys were putting a hose clamp on it to keep it from rattling. Need to do a search.
I agree it's probably one of the heat shields rattling
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

Also check your sway bar links and Lower Shock mounts. They make an annoying rattle when you forget to tighten them down.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I looked by the muffler heat shield but wasn't it so now I gotta check the heat shield by the cats

Quick Reply: Damn rattling sound while driving!