Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dana 30 swap with rubicon Dana 44

Old 08-11-2018, 12:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 30 swap with rubicon Dana 44

Hello,
I’m fairly new to the Jeep community but my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited was involved in a front end collision and I need a front axle so instead of putting a Dana 30 for about the same cost as a Dana 44 rubicon I was wondering would I be able to swap the Dana 30 to a Dana 44 from a rubicon. I know the Dana 44 has the electronic locker so I was wondering how I would go about that.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes you can swap a rubi D44 in the front of your JK very easily. As far as the locker, you'd have to wire it to your own switch but that too seems pretty easy as well.

I'm planning to do this exact swap your asking about once I find a reasonably priced axle or set of axles close to me.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2
Yes you can swap a rubi D44 in the front of your JK very easily. As far as the locker, you'd have to wire it to your own switch but that too seems pretty easy as well.

I'm planning to do this exact swap your asking about once I find a reasonably priced axle or set of axles close to me.
Ok cool! Do you know if there’s any sort of video or write ups?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, same mounts, same dimensions, same hubs and brakes, no problem to bolt up a rubi44 instead. There have been quite a few posts about wiring the locker, but I didn't save any of the links - shouldn't be hard to find though. What gear ratio are you running now? Newer rubi axles can come with either 3.73 or 4.10, but not 3.21.

And you might want to price out some of the aftermarket D44's as well, (Dynatrac, Teraflex, G2, etc) especially if the insurance company is just handing you a check.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yep, same mounts, same dimensions, same hubs and brakes, no problem to bolt up a rubi44 instead. There have been quite a few posts about wiring the locker, but I didn't save any of the links - shouldn't be hard to find though. What gear ratio are you running now? Newer rubi axles can come with either 3.73 or 4.10, but not 3.21.

And you might want to price out some of the aftermarket D44's as well, (Dynatrac, Teraflex, G2, etc) especially if the insurance company is just handing you a check.
i am currently running 3.21 gears. I don’t know if it would be better to just get another Dana 30 with 3.21 gear just to save me from spending a lot of money or if I should just say F it and go Dana 44
Old 08-11-2018, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I went to a PR44 and regeared the rear instead of replacing my broke d30 with another one. I would guess that most here would probably say to go for it as well, especially since you are in a situation of replacing the entire front axle anyway. Just list out the prices for both routes and see where you end up.

Think about things that might sway your opinion one way or the other, like: how do you feel about the performance now? Could it use a little more pep from going to a numerically higher gear ratio? Do you take it offroad? Planning on a lift and/or bigger tires? Any thoughts of adding a rear traction device? Is it still under warranty, and how will that be affected by whatever you choose? ... Whatever other questions I forgot about.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I went to a PR44 and regeared the rear instead of replacing my broke d30 with another one. I would guess that most here would probably say to go for it as well, especially since you are in a situation of replacing the entire front axle anyway. Just list out the prices for both routes and see where you end up.

Think about things that might sway your opinion one way or the other, like: how do you feel about the performance now? Could it use a little more pep from going to a numerically higher gear ratio? Do you take it offroad? Planning on a lift and/or bigger tires? Any thoughts of adding a rear traction device? Is it still under warranty, and how will that be affected by whatever you choose? ... Whatever other questions I forgot about.
These are the questions you need to ask yourself. Swapping the D30 for the D44 is a pretty straight forward process. Depending on tire size, just regear the rear end to match.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I swapped to Rubi axles several years back. I ended up building up the front, all 1/4" bracketry, truss, gussets, DT ball joints, regeared to 5.13 (with my 3.6L). Be honest with yourself how you use your jeep. If you don't offroad much, stick a used D30 under there as they should be a dime a dozen in most places. If you feel like you need a locker up front, just do yourself a favor and go aftermarket axle like nuthinuf. I got a great deal on a crated axle, did almost all the work myself or at fraction of cost. I've done the math in a different thread.....most people that go my route will end up spending almost as much as just buying an aftermarket axle, and they'll still end up with a significantly weaker axle. That said, if you get an aftermarket front, or you slap a rubi in, you're looking at probably another $750 +/- to regear the rear end....and then you'll be asking yourself if you should add a locker or lsd in the rear at the same time. It's going to cost more than you planned.

There was someone selling a SET to rubi axles with 4.10's for $2700 on the Marketplace. Looks like those sold while I was out of town. Someone got a great deal!

Quick Reply: Dana 30 swap with rubicon Dana 44