Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dana 44 fluid fill question

Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 44 fluid fill question

On my new JK I was installing a Warn D44 skid plate for protection on the front axle. The instructions says to loosen the bottom 5 bolts and install the cover using the supplied hardware. My kit did not come with the hardware so I used the stock bolts as they seems long enough - I was getting about 6 full turns in the threads before the bolt head made contact with the plate.

Problem:
As I was removing the bolts the fluid started to leak out of the diff (Dana 44). Once done with the install I thought I would top off the fluid level to replace what had leaked out. As I took out the top plug (left side of the diff about mid way up from the bottom - not the drain plug as it is on the left side bottom) to fill I ended up with oil rushing out of the fill hole. Huh? I ended up with about a dinner plate size puddle on my chest. (nice mess).

Question:
Since this is a NEW vehicle and not having any major services done except it's first oil change at the dealer, than how the heck did the diff get over filled? Is there a second way to add fluid? What am I missing here? (BTW the JK was sitting on floor ramps both front and back wheels in my level garage so I had the Jeep level when I was doing the install)
Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've seen on this forum, this is common. It seems that the diffs are often slightly overfilled from the factory.

Just fill until you're level with the fill hole.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can agree with them coming overfilled. I was in the trail when my outer axle seal started leaking pretty decent. We checked the diff, it was overful. we made it in to town after several hours on the trail, checked diff again it still ran out. i drove 80 miles home and sent it to the dealer
Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I think the diffs are fill before installation on the vehicle. They put in a specified amount, and if the fill hole is turned up, it can be over serviced.

Here are the factory differential capacities for the JK:

FRONT AXLE ± .03 L (1 oz.)
186 FBI (Model 30) 1.0 L (1.05 qts)
216 FBI (Model 44) 1.3 L (1.35 qts)

REAR AXLE ± .03 L (1 oz.)
198 RBI (Model 35) 1.83 L (1.9 qts)
226 RBI (Model 44) 2.25 L (2.4 qts)

Actual amounts from factory on my vehicle:

Front Dana 44: 44oz (15oz above bottom of fill hole) (1.4 qts)
Rear Dana 44: 72oz (slightly above bottom of fill hole) (2.25 qts)

When I refilled the front, I put in the same amount as drained. I wanted to make sure the high pinion bearings would get enough oil. Probably not necessary, but that's what I did.
I have not had any leaks or venting of oil.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-29-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I think the diffs are fill before installation on the vehicle. They put in a specified amount, and if the fill hole is turned up, it can be over serviced.

Here are the factory differential capacities for the JK:

FRONT AXLE ± .03 L (1 oz.)
186 FBI (Model 30) 1.0 L (1.05 qts)
216 FBI (Model 44) 1.3 L (1.35 qts)

REAR AXLE ± .03 L (1 oz.)
198 RBI (Model 35) 1.83 L (1.9 qts)
226 RBI (Model 44) 2.25 L (2.4 qts)

Actual amounts from factory on my vehicle:

Front Dana 44: 44oz (15oz above bottom of fill hole) (1.4 qts)
Rear Dana 44: 72oz (slightly above bottom of fill hole) (2.25 qts)

When I refilled the front, I put in the same amount as drained. I wanted to make sure the high pinion bearings would get enough oil. Probably not necessary, but that's what I did.
I have not had any leaks or venting of oil.
Boy that must have been some kind of incline you were parked on to get the oil back in above the fill hole?

Thanks for the input guys; makes me feel better - thought I had missed something.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 fluid fill question