Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash gauges help

Old 09-15-2017, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash gauges help

Hello. I've owned my 09 JKUR for 3 years now and ever since I've had it the instrument cluster that shows MPG, outside temperature, compass, etc has not been working correctly. It never really bothered me coming from a TJ but I'd like to get it resolved. The problem is that it intermittently switches through all the different displays on its own. Ive tried looking up(google) the possible reasons for it doing this to no avail. Has anyone else encountered this issue with a solution or could possibly point me in the right direction? Thanks

Not sure if this is related but my stock navigation will also change languages on its own! Any help is much appreciated!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Sounds like a bad display button, but not related to GPS.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Sounds like a bad display button, but not related to GPS.

Thanks I’ll look into the button. Maybe pull the fuse?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JKJonesy
Thanks I’ll look into the button. Maybe pull the fuse?
A power cycle can't hurt, and with electronic, communication, and firmware gremlins it's common to try that and see what happens -- Maybe disconnect the negative batt terminal.

But buttons are more mechanical in nature, and I was suspecting moisture-dust-corrosion has gotten inside where the electrical contact is supposed to be a definite make or break.

Generically speaking, I've had some good luck taking apart devices and cleaning up the contacts, which are typically traces on a circuit board with a movable part that makes a connection between the traces when a button is pressed. The hard part is obviously getting stuff apart and put back together without damage in a world that's geared toward replacing a whole assembly or part.

Just went out to my Jeep and tried a continuous button press on the left button, it doesn't scroll. It takes a repeating press to do that. Maybe some moisture-dust-corrosion in the wrong place can act like a repeating button press, or maybe the button isn't the problem.

I think I'd try repeating a few firm button presses next time it happens and see if the scrolling stops.

Last edited by Mr.T; 09-21-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

You also mentioned the nav unit occasionally switched languages on it's own, so I'll throw out another general thought:

Weird gremlin-like problems can happen with intermittent voltage dips or spikes. In the automotive world, battery and grounding problems are the first causes that come to mind.

Here's some generic checks:
Test the battery. Clean battery terminals. Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running (alternator charging). Check ground connections. On the early JK's the grounds that come to mind are down by the drivers side left foot, on either side of the engine compartment near the TIPM and PCM, and the large ground wire from battery neg to the engine.

Last edited by Mr.T; 09-21-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome! Thanks a lot. I will definitely give your suggestions a try. Much appreciated 🍻

Quick Reply: Dash gauges help