Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dash rattle/squeak woes

Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash rattle/squeak woes

Finally got annoyed to the point I want to take the Jeep into the dealer for the dash rattle/squeaking noise and it won't duplicate when I take it in. I'm hearing the rattle/squeaking noise when its warm outside and AC on. Does not do it when the AC is off. It is cold right now so I have to wait until the weather warms up before I bring the Jeep back in. The noise is coming from behind the left center dash vent as best as I can tell. I'm about on my last hair with that Jeep. A salesman that works at the dealership has expressed interest in my Jeep in the past. I just might ask him to make an offer.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have found that the best knowledge base on the planet is here on this forum. Many have tried the "Dealership" route to no avail. I have taken information I have gotten from this forum to the dealership and they have corrected a lot of issues with mine like you are having. My service manager supposedly is going to sign up on here so he can get a firmer grasp of the complaints that he sees on a daily basis but can not duplicate. This forum ROCKS and is packed with guys that are smarter than any dealership service writer or mechanic. In my humble opinion of course
Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

You'd be better off making it a do-it-yourself project.

The center bezel is very easy to take off.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The circular air vents are simple to remove, open fully, insert a finger or two inside the vent top and bottom and turn till it stops. Pull out. Look behind, the center vents have a pretty good amount of room behind them. Have you listened with the hood up while the a/c is on? An exhaust heat shield will transmit noise thru the firewall. Your idler pulley bearing can make a noise prior to failure. Your a/c compressor and/or compressor clutch can make various noises. Without being on the spot a vague description is not a lot to go on, as you see a list of causes can quickly be gotten up. If you have a change in the noise or symptoms then repost with a detailed description of the noise. Very very few noises, if any, are outside temperature specific. Most all accessory systems on a vehicle run at a normal operating temperature regardless of outside temperatures, so this shouldn't be an issue. And yes, I am a dealership mechanic/autobody repairman,LOL. There are several of us here on the Forum.....Most unresolved issues at a dealership are a result of you telling the service writer one thing, and him hearing something else. ALWAYS ask to look at the work order to see what he has written down for the technician to read, it may not be what you brought it in for. A good mechanic doesn't mind speaking to the owner briefly to get a very clear picture of a vague or intermittent problem. Best of luck!

Last edited by TINMAN080; 10-06-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's fixed! The heatshield wasn't mounted to the firewall properly. When the A/C was on it put more load on the engine which caused enough vibration to cause the heat shield to move around enough to transmit noise through the firewall. Beats the hell out of me.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

For those who have the dash rattle, and it's not the heat shield as above:

It's common for the A/C lines to rattle at the fire wall/HVAC unit.
Repositioning the lines at the fire wall, (under the hood), by carefully pulling on them is what fixed it on mine, and some others. Mine has been quiet since I fixed it.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
For those who have the dash rattle, and it's not the heat shield as above:

It's common for the A/C lines to rattle at the fire wall/HVAC unit.
Repositioning the lines at the fire wall, (under the hood), by carefully pulling on them is what fixed it on mine, and some others. Mine has been quiet since I fixed it.
Yep, I had that squeek and rattle. I found the problem, and two days later when I was in for the tranny reflash/recall, the mechanic repositioned the lines. Been quiet ever since.

Quick Reply: Dash rattle/squeak woes