Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

In Desperate Need of Advise

Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Desperate Need of Advise

SO on my 2012 Wrangler sport I have had some issues since buying it used with 40K miles. I have had misfire issues from about 50K on, it now has 96K miles on the clock. I have had spark plugs changed, oil pump replaced, oil consumption test run by dealer, and of course they said it was with in factory allowances, ect. I just accepted the fact that I have to carry oil in the back and just top it off every week because it burns oil. So my jeep starting running badly and shooting misfire codes again a month ago. I took it in and the dealer says I need a new head, not the left side that is under warranty the right side to the tune of $2400 which I felt was a good price for that work, so I approved the work. I get the Jeep back and after driving it about 60 miles, you guessed it rough idle and misfire code. I take it back and they now say that I have a burnt valve on cylinder 3 and need a short block, and that they had no way of knowing there was a bad ring without replacing the head. So my guess is I am about to get a phone call any day saying I need another $2-3K worth of work, I probably would have never agreed to the first $2400 if I would have know it would be thousands more. I need some advise on what I should be planning. All advise is appreciated..

Aaron

Last edited by texastraveler; 05-13-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider a new engine. Might be better in the long run
The following users liked this post:
texastraveler (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe they should have done a compression check. If they did they should have been able to identify the rings not sealing.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

That completely sux. First thing is to forget about the $2400 spent on the original repair. It will only cause agony to think about, and there is no recourse on that IMO. The decision is simply now what's in front of you. There had been a practically new 3.6L engine from an LS swap for sale in this area for $1800 for the longest time on Craigslist, like 6 months +. Just went digging for it, and naturally it's no longer there.

Quick Reply: In Desperate Need of Advise