Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Dies, gear bump and power loss

Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies, gear bump and power loss

I realize some of these may not be related, but... 2013 JKU Sahara, 50K miles. Will randomly die at an intersection, power feel is not like it used to, every once in a while it feels like it has a shift bump in the transmission. I have had people say it could be the terminals, or it could be the crankshaft positioning sensor.
Anybody else experience this? If so, what was the resolution?
Thanks
Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Dies when sitting still or when trying to take off from a stop? Also I assume doesn't die while driving but just bump in transmission. lastly how is it on startup?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Dies when stopping at a light. this last time on a hill. She didn't even realize it died until she took her foot off the brake. but radio etc stays on when it dies.
right, not dying while driving at speed.
turn it off, back on and starts up.

going to try replacing crankshaft position sensor, and probably cam shaft sensor for good measure. (both inexpensive) someone also said maybe there was a break in a terminal line to the battery? but seems like that would cause the radio etc, to cut out as well?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think a break in the terminal line would do it and not show some other sign. you would see the lights dim or the AC cut out and radio. Something would red flag you. It sounds like you aren't getting any notification just a shut down motor. I would look into a fuel issue. I had a truck do this same type of thing. The fuel filter was failing, once warmed up (because the RPMs naturally drop at running temp) and no added pressure from pushing the throttle the truck would simply die as if I had turned the key.

May be worth looking into. Good luck with it.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FenixRising
Dies when stopping at a light. this last time on a hill. She didn't even realize it died until she took her foot off the brake. but radio etc stays on when it dies.
right, not dying while driving at speed.
turn it off, back on and starts up.

going to try replacing crankshaft position sensor, and probably cam shaft sensor for good measure. (both inexpensive) someone also said maybe there was a break in a terminal line to the battery? but seems like that would cause the radio etc, to cut out as well?
Did you find a solution? Seems like I'm having the same issue with my 2012 JKU w/118K miles. A few weeks ago, I was having this issue but also (2 separate occasions, a couple days apart) had CEL and TCS lights as it went into limp mode. Scanner showed a P2638, C123C, and C121C. I cleared them on the second occasion and did a transmission fluid flush/filter change, spark plug change, cleaned the throttle body, and changed the PCV. Codes haven't returned but now is dying as you described, almost daily.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Joe
Old 11-10-2019, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am experiencing similar issues occasionally. They are sometimes paired with P0018 code which I'm working on solving with the dealer. Cam sensor and crank sensor both replaced and still occasionally happens. Yesterday was the first day it actually died but it seems to happen when pulling up to a stop on a hill after the first startup. RPMs drop to 500 or lower and it's like the Jeep wants to stall like it's a manual left in gear coming to a stop.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem. I have a 2014 Jeep JKUR shuts off occasionally when driving just like you said. No CELs but will occasionally get different codes saved but not active. Today I got the P2638 Code after the transmission bucked going about 55mph at 1200-1500 rpm. Going to look into the TIPM

Quick Reply: Dies, gear bump and power loss