Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"Ding" Alarm On Steep Grades

Old 11-27-2007, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Ding" Alarm On Steep Grades

Alright I know a couple other jeepers in SoCal have experienced this issue when climbing steep grades in there jeeps with automatic transmissions. It seems that when climbing at a slow pace up steep grades you will here a random "Ding" alarm for lack of a better word. Our theory on this seems to be the transmission overheating due to dirty trans fluid or lack of air flow. Now as of this moment we don't know if anything else is the problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else have heard a "Ding" when climbing steep grades for extended periods of time?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experienced it also. I have no idea what it really is. No lights or indications of anything wrong. It still performs great.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

That's weird. I have never heard it and I have had mine climbing some pretty vertical stuff.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

I just thought of something...I have heard the ding. Mine was the low fuel warning. While climbing a very steep grade, all the fuel moves to the back of the tank and the Jeep thinks it's empty. The fuel light should go on though. Is it possible that this is the chime you heard and didn't realize that it was the low fuel indicator?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade
I just thought of something...I have heard the ding. Mine was the low fuel warning. While climbing a very steep grade, all the fuel moves to the back of the tank and the Jeep thinks it's empty. The fuel light should go on though. Is it possible that this is the chime you heard and didn't realize that it was the low fuel indicator?
No I don't think so, it has happened to 3 of us all at different times and not a single light was on in the dash. Each time it was after about 45min or so of steep climbing. Now I've talked about this with some other JKers who also has experienced the automatic transmission not wanting to shift down when going around 10-20mph while climbing steep grades, its seems you almost have to floor it to get it to downshift... Normally thats when you start to hear the Alarm "Ding". All sounds like a transmission problem to me. But on one JK outing it happened to every automatic transmission there. All were reporting the same problem...
Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
I have experienced it also. I have no idea what it really is. No lights or indications of anything wrong. It still performs great.
That's what I've been saying... but now I'm starting to think it might be a warning that the transmission is running too hot.

I had the ding come on a few times on different trail runs-- always on a grade, but not always that steep. I never felt anything wrong or had a problem, so I just ignored it. But, when I took it to the dealer for some other work, they pulled the codes and some of them were showing that the transmission had run too hot at points. They said the transmission fluid was filthy and that I needed to flush it and change the fluid. So, I did and never really thought anything of it. I still never put it together with the ding. But, after Trail Bud experienced transmission problems on the trail it all seemed to come together. Now I'm guessing that most of the people who have experienced the random ding also have the codes in the CPU that show your transmission has run too hot at one point.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Renegade
It's not the fuel gauge. No lights come on. It just seems random... but I don't think it is.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doojer
That's what I've been saying... but now I'm starting to think it might be a warning that the transmission is running too hot.

I had the ding come on a few times on different trail runs-- always on a grade, but not always that steep. I never felt anything wrong or had a problem, so I just ignored it. But, when I took it to the dealer for some other work, they pulled the codes and some of them were showing that the transmission had run too hot at points. They said the transmission fluid was filthy and that I needed to flush it and change the fluid. So, I did and never really thought anything of it. I still never put it together with the ding. But, after Trail Bud experienced transmission problems on the trail it all seemed to come together. Now I'm guessing that most of the people who have experienced the random ding also have the codes in the CPU that show your transmission has run too hot at one point.
Yeah thats what its looking like.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi

Some possible wisdom from Rubimon:

Originally Posted by Rubimon
It probably isn't the fact that it's dirty as much as the fact that once it boils the viscosity of the fluid probably changes making it less effective at cooling your transmission. Just a guess though. But it might be a worth while safety net to change the fluid and use a better grade than what comes from the factory.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah when I get my jeep back that is the first thing I'm doing

Quick Reply: "Ding" Alarm On Steep Grades