Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"Ding" Alarm On Steep Grades

Old 11-27-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of fluid flow

I have heard of auto tranny issues when climbing steep grades for extended periods of time in other threads. Could this be due to a lack of fluid in the sump at the bottom of the trans's oil pan? All the fluid is flowing to the rear of the tranny and there is a lack of fluid flow in the torque converter and through the trans itself. Just a thought.

Last edited by JasperK; 11-27-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKTyrant
...steep climbing.,,the automatic transmission not wanting to shift down when going around 10-20mph while climbing steep grades, its seems you almost have to floor it to get it to downshift...
I have experienced that too, but I thought it was due to the ESP locking down the wheels that were spinning to match the slowest one. Maybe you're right and it is the transmission. I was hoping after I got the rear locker that I wouldn't have that problem.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I've climbed much steeper grades without a problem before and after, but all of that steady nonstop climbing in DV did me in. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that we were fully loaded with gear? Doojer, you weren't with us on the DV trip, but were you loaded with gear when you had your problems?

Mine doesn't seem to be shifting correctly even on the highway on moderate grades any more. I know it's driving differently than it had been before I had the "ding." It's going in to to the dealer next week, and I've asked them to check the transmission while it's there. Will see if mine shows the same codes. If nothing else, I want it on record that I've had a problem, just in case my tranny blows too.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OffTopic
Doojer, you weren't with us on the DV trip, but were you loaded with gear when you had your problems?
Actually, no... most of the times I can remember it happening were day trips like Lockwood-Miller and Rowher Flats....
Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I want to follow this thread so I'm posting.
Currently my JK sits at the dealer
with a fried transmission. They're openning it up tomorrow , so I'll
know more then.
In the mean time I'm looking for a good Transmssion aux. cooler, any ideas?
I just purchased gages to monitor it in the future.

Last edited by Trail Bud; 11-28-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

You had the shifting problems when you were climbing right Offtopic?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKTyrant
You had the shifting problems when you were climbing right Offtopic?
Yup, on Cerro Gordo road when we heard the ding. And that wasn't a very steep grade, just long. Constant climbing.

But I didn't have any problem last weekend crawling up a much steeper (but short) hill. It's the long steady climbing.

Maybe we should've let the transmissions cool after coming through the mountain passes on the highway, before hitting the trail for more climbing.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OffTopic
Yup, on Cerro Gordo road when we heard the ding. And that wasn't a very steep grade, just long. Constant climbing.

But I didn't have any problem last weekend crawling up a much steeper (but short) hill. It's the long steady climbing.

Maybe we should've let the transmissions cool after coming through the mountain passes on the highway, before hitting the trail for more climbing.
Yeah its the long steady climbing that it always happens to me on. Good idea with letting the trans cool.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by doojer
That's what I've been saying... but now I'm starting to think it might be a warning that the transmission is running too hot.

I had the ding come on a few times on different trail runs-- always on a grade, but not always that steep. I never felt anything wrong or had a problem, so I just ignored it. But, when I took it to the dealer for some other work, they pulled the codes and some of them were showing that the transmission had run too hot at points. They said the transmission fluid was filthy and that I needed to flush it and change the fluid. So, I did and never really thought anything of it. I still never put it together with the ding. But, after Trail Bud experienced transmission problems on the trail it all seemed to come together. Now I'm guessing that most of the people who have experienced the random ding also have the codes in the CPU that show your transmission has run too hot at one point.
I'll run the codes when I get home to see if there are any. I have 2 different readers.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
I want to follow this thread so I'm posting.
Currently my JK sits at the dealer
with a fried transmission. They're openning it up tomorrow , so I'll
know more then.
In the mean time I'm looking for a good Transmssion aux. cooler, any ideas?
I just purchased gages to monitor it in the future.
Any aftermarket cooler will work.

Quick Reply: "Ding" Alarm On Steep Grades