Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do I have a bad starter? Is it easy to replace?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Do I have a bad starter? Is it easy to replace?

I've been having starting issues with my JK and finally the dealer said the battery was the cause and replaced it. Seemed correct but sometimes I could have sworn it was the starter and sometimes definitely the battery (because I could get a jump). When I thought it was the starter it would finally turn over after 3 or 4 tries.

Wanted to go to the store today and it would not start. New battery 5,000 miles ago. Had my roommate turn the ignition and leave it cranking (no noise after 3 seconds of key turned) and I tapped the starter with a small hammer. It started right up. Shut it down, repeat the process, tap it with a hammer again, starts right up.

I think its safe to say I have a bad starter? Correct? Is this an easy replace? It looks like it has one bolt that is screwed into the transmission and a cover or shield around it. I think I also see three wires that are plugged into it on bolt studs. Can someone walk me through how to change this? I was going to stop by the dealer and purchase the part tomorrow. It's dark out right now and I can get a better look at it tomorrow during the day. It starts up no problems right now. Went to the store and came back no problems. Thanks in advance for the help. I can turn a wrench but usually leave the harder jobs to the dealer.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you can start up by whacking the starter or solenoid, its because the contacter inside the solenoid isn't contacting. If its been in water/mud, you might be able to remove the starter and clean the solenoid out.

If that isn't possible and the starter has a removeable/replaceable solenoid (haven't looked at mine yet) then the solenoid can be replaced for less than a new starter.

When in doubt, mount up a new or reman starter and the problem is solved. Just did that on one of my rigs today, in fact. Damn thing was so big I needed a transmission jack! (Cat 3208 diesel in a bus.)
Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really easy to replace. I did it the middle of stream. First step is to disconnect the battery. Unless you want a neat light show from arching tools and what-not. After that, slide the heat shield off, unscrew one connecter and remove two bolts. Stick the new one on, tighten the two bolts, reconnect the connector, slide the heat shield back on, reconnect the battery, and voila.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the help. I ordered the part today. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. After I removed the heat shield today I could clearly see how easy of an install it is. I'll update the post when I am finished with the work.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EHarris
Thanks for the help. I ordered the part today. I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. After I removed the heat shield today I could clearly see how easy of an install it is. I'll update the post when I am finished with the work.
Repost with some pictures when you are done ,,, good luck.....

Slim
Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Should be picking up the starter tomorrow. Got a new rear bumper to install also. Gonna be a busy weekend. I'll post up when I'm done. Thanks

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
Repost with some pictures when you are done ,,, good luck.....

Slim
Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Ok guys got my starter replaced. Super easy to do. Thanks so much for helping out with this. I think I was being intimated by the heat shield but it just slid right off and I could see the starter and the wires perfectly. I didn't have my camera on me so my apologies for no pictures. BTW the starter was $120 from the dealer. They wanted about an hour labor charge to do the work. Took me about 20 minutes and I took my sweet time and even had a in my hand while doing it.

Once again thanks for walking me though the process.

Quick Reply: Do I have a bad starter? Is it easy to replace?