Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door unlocks with key, but won't lock

Old 07-23-2017, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door unlocks with key, but won't lock

So I bought an 07 Rubicon and when I got it, the key wouldn't unlock the driver side door. I got a replacement lock cylinder and put it in today, what a pain in the ..... Anyway, after putting the new cylinder in, the door will unlock from the outside now, but it won't lock, you can hear something moving but not engaging fully, I can't tell what it is.

The other thing is that the latch in the door will occasionally hit the striker and not actuate. It's like trying to close a door with the deadbolt out, it just slams it back.

Any idea what I did wrong?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yodwinder
So I bought an 07 Rubicon and when I got it, the key wouldn't unlock the driver side door. I got a replacement lock cylinder and put it in today, what a pain in the ..... Anyway, after putting the new cylinder in, the door will unlock from the outside now, but it won't lock, you can hear something moving but not engaging fully, I can't tell what it is.

The other thing is that the latch in the door will occasionally hit the striker and not actuate. It's like trying to close a door with the deadbolt out, it just slams it back.

Any idea what I did wrong?
Figured this out. The arm on the end of the lock cylinder has a built in "dowel" and it wasn't properly aligned with the lock actuator. Therefore, it would push it to unlock it, but couldn't engage it to pull it back to lock it.

Quick Reply: Door unlocks with key, but won't lock