Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drag link adjustment collar loose

Old 02-06-2019, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag link adjustment collar loose

Hello everyone, I've got 85K miles on my JKUR and the other day when I was doing my oil change I was checking out my steering components and noticed that the adjustment collar on the drag link has a lot of play in it. I haven't noticed any steering issues but the amount of play seemed excessive. It's hard to describe but it feels like one end of the drag link isn't screwed into the adjustment collar far enough, maybe a few threads, and it allows the drag link to flex or move where the two come together. The bolts on the adjustment collar are tight, the steering wheel is centered and I haven't messed with adjusting it for a few years. It really doesn't seem "normal" and I wondered if there is an easy fix or do I need to replace the whole thing?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

How did it get like that? If you think the DL in general is fine, just unbolt one end (the knuckle end is probably easier), and adjust the collar so both ends generally have the same amount of threads in the collar. Then, adjust the collar appropriately so you can reinstall at the knuckle. As long as you don't touch the steering wheel and the jeep is on the ground, you shouldn't have to adjust the steering wheel at all.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
How did it get like that? If you think the DL in general is fine, just unbolt one end (the knuckle end is probably easier), and adjust the collar so both ends generally have the same amount of threads in the collar. Then, adjust the collar appropriately so you can reinstall at the knuckle. As long as you don't touch the steering wheel and the jeep is on the ground, you shouldn't have to adjust the steering wheel at all.
Well, that's the million dollar question, I don't recall it ever being that way and when I installed my lift I had to adjust it a couple of times to get the steering wheel centered but that was it. Okay, I wondered if I could do what you advised or if it was just worn out and needed to be replaced. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks
Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Since that is the free option, that is what I would try first at least, then keep a close eye on it. Probalby not a bad idea to use a paint pen to mark it so you can notice any movement afterwards.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by resharp001
Since that is the free option, that is what I would try first at least, then keep a close eye on it. Probalby not a bad idea to use a paint pen to mark it so you can notice any movement afterwards.

Good idea, thanks.

Quick Reply: Drag link adjustment collar loose