Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drag Link Noise. Can you inject grease into the Drag Link boot?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Link Noise. Can you inject grease into the Drag Link boot?

I have a stock 2007 Sahara Unlimited. I notice that my drag link pivots (as it should), but it seems like it is starting to bounce up and down on its upper and lower limits while on rough roads or potholes. The whole drag link arm rotates easily by hand, and shakes violently on hard knocks. Not only does it sound awful, but you can feel it when you're driving.

I understand that I can replace the entire drag link / pitman arm assembly. Given that there is no up/down or lateral play (i.e. it is still functioning correctly), can thick grease like 5th wheel grease be injected into the rubber boot near the knuckle? Would this reduce the banging over hard bumps, or am I going in the wrong direction? I was just thinking that it works so well with the boot on the intermediate steering shaft...

P.S. all track bar bolts are tight.

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I imagine it will react just like the steering shaft "fix". To answer your question, yes, it will reduce the vibrations in the drag link assembly. You could administer it similar to people on the steering shaft, cut a small opening in the boot. You should be able to pull down the top a bit and slop grease into the joint and then re-attach it. I think I dislodged mine a while ago but was able to work it back on. It could have been the tie-rod end but they're made about the same.

But you'll just be masking a bigger issue. If the knuckles are worn then it's best to replace it. But you already know that.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

hmm, so I guess it is an option to try and cram some thick grease in there. Bigger question though: Is a lack of resistance (when moving the drag link bar) a sign that the bushings are worn out? Do I need to replace the drag link assembly?

I know that the drag link is supposed to rotate, but the noise that it makes when it hits it's upper and lower limits is driving me crazy. Am I the only one?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

If there's up and down movement in the joint then replace it. It's done

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are both ends moving up and down? If so, I'd replace it all. It sounds like the bushings inside the joint are deteriorated or damaged. I haven't taken them apart but I know that Mopar uses plastic bushings in the ball joints. I wouldn't be surprised if all joints were plastic.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Default Repair by replace

I replaced my draglink end at the pitman arm 2 weeks ago. I was feeling a little slack in the steering so I did planman's front end check:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

I found it was just the one draglink end so I got a new one. Now the steering is as tight as a drum.
MOPAR 52060049AE - MOPAR® Outer Drag Link Socket for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

BTW - the draglink is suppose to twist front-to-back when adjusted correctly. This is needed as the suspension travels up and down. You never want up and down movement in the ends themselves. The above write-up explains how to check them.

P.S.: May have been related to a minor fender bender the Jeep sustained last year...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-06_09-56-27_482.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	500444

Last edited by Sahara Lee; 09-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Drag Link Noise. Can you inject grease into the Drag Link boot?