Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Easier Way to Remove and Reinstall '13/'14 Soft Top?

Old 05-04-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easier Way to Remove and Reinstall '13/'14 Soft Top?

It was fairly easy to remove the soft top from my '07 JKU, just remove 4 bolts (that I bought thumb scres for) and off it came. Same for going back on, just a 1 person job.

This new spring loaded top on my '13 JKU is a lot harder, especially when trying to reinstall the spring loaded parts. I've unbolted and removed it twice, but am wondering if anyone has found an easier way to pull the top off the Jeep and then reinstall it when needed.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess no one else found a better way yet either... Turned out to be a blessing in disguise when it rained on me Friday with my doors in my garage. Top would have been there too if it was easier to take off. May just buy a boot to make it look cleaner when folded all the way down.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

It's still only 4 bolts, I find it just as easy or easier than my 08 top. I will say, make sure you are using the spring assist retaining straps, they are snapped to the bow. You unsnap them and slide down to the spring assist. Then find the small hook on the bracket and hook the loop end (opposite the snap) around them. Otherwise it makes dealing with the spring assist part a real pain.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
It's still only 4 bolts, I find it just as easy or easier than my 08 top. I will say, make sure you are using the spring assist retaining straps, they are snapped to the bow. You unsnap them and slide down to the spring assist. Then find the small hook on the bracket and hook the loop end (opposite the snap) around them. Otherwise it makes dealing with the spring assist part a real pain.
Well that right there may be the very tip I was looking for! I am dealing with the spring assist part each time, and it enough of a a pain to just leave the top on. Had no idea that strap was there, just went and found it, right where you said. Next time the top comes down I'll figure out how you're using this strap. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

You're welcome. Luckily mine was a dual top and had a big tag attached to it, so I saw that and read it to prior to first removal so I knew what to expect. I could imagine if you didn't know about it, that it would be quite a gotcha.

Quick Reply: Easier Way to Remove and Reinstall '13/'14 Soft Top?