Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine bucking

Old 09-01-2018, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bucking

Need to pick your brain as i’m At a loss...I have a 2007 Sahara with 116k on the clocks, literally has been trouble free for 11years. Recently it developed what I though was a spark issue. So I replaced the plugs and one showed a crack so I thought sure this was the issue. Nope!
So I progressed to changing the wires and then the ignition coil. No change. I changed the PCV and cleaned the throttle body also in hopes this was the issue but I’ve seen no change.ive run sea foam through the block and in the fuel system also. Here’s the thing, it runs fine cold but as it heats up it develops what I thought was a misfire, only I’m not seeing a loss in rpm and no codes. There does seem to be a bit of a skip in the exhaust note and the engine does jump a bit. Can anyone think of other possible causes for these symptoms?I have a 2007 Sahara with 116k on the clocks, literally has been trouble free for 11years. Recently it developed what I though was a spark issue. So I replaced the plugs and one showed a crack so I thought sure this was the issue. Nope!
So I progressed to changing the wires and then the ignition coil. No change. I changed the PCV and cleaned the throttle body also in hopes this was the issue but I’ve seen no change.ive run sea foam through the block and in the fuel system also. Here’s the thing, it runs fine cold but as it heats up it develops what I thought was a misfire, only I’m not seeing a loss in rpm and no codes. There does seem to be a bit of a skip in the exhaust note and the engine does jump a bit. Can anyone think of other possible causes for these symptoms?
Old 09-01-2018, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Check your EGR system. It's a metal tube that goes from the top of the motor towards the firewall. I was having weird lags with no codes and that was it. The bolts were loose which caused excess air in the system which threw the computer for a loop and would cause weird idle characteristics.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Check your EGR system. It's a metal tube that goes from the top of the motor towards the firewall. I was having weird lags with no codes and that was it. The bolts were loose which caused excess air in the system which threw the computer for a loop and would cause weird idle characteristics.
Okay I checked that, it’s snug. Any other thoughts that I can check?
Old 09-01-2018, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

catalytic converter maybe ? blocking up . just a thought or maybe bad fuel filter
Old 09-01-2018, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
catalytic converter maybe ? blocking up . just a thought or maybe bad fuel filter
with a fuel delivery issue wouldn’t you see a drop in rpm?

never though to look at the Cats, how can you check to see if they are good?

Quick Reply: Engine bucking