Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine Problem--Need serious Help!!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problem--Need serious Help!!

Ok I will try to lay this all out, but if you need clarification on anything please don't hesitate to ask!

Well I just went to get my oil changed today at the dealership (11/9). My jeep is an 07 4Dr 2WD Unlimited X. I was at 84, 472 miles, I can't remember off the top of my head when my oil change was actually due but I know it was a a while ago.
I have noticed I needed my oil changed, but just never got around to it...well this week I started hearing a terrible knocking sound coming from the engine and I knew it was time that I must bring in the jeep!
As I drove to the dealership I feel like it got considerably worse. Well when they got to work on it I got the terrible new!
"Vehicle was over 6K miles past due for oil and filter service vehicle had approximately .5 Qts of oil in engine. Prominent knock from engine. Internal failure of short block due to lack of engine oil."

Well the dealership is estimating repair at $4250+/-

I am still in college...doing an internship of 40hrs a week for no pay. So needless to say, I don't have the money and thats the last thing I want to ask my parents for, because it is mainly my fault.

If anyboy knows a cheaper way to get this worked out... Or something I can do myself?? Thank you so much!!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

OK, first thing, you need to always check the oil level on any vehicle as most of them tend to burn oil. So what can happen is the engine can run out of oil after some time, like yours did.

As for replacing your engine, don't go to the dealer, they are ripping you off (as always). Find a used engine from a junk yard, then find a shop, or an independant mechanic on craigslist to do the work. It is still going to be expensive, but not $4000+ expensive.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard way to learn the lesson. I would try contacting some of the v8 swap shops to see if maybe they have a low milage long block available. Maybe try Jeep Speed Shop or AEV.

Good Luck
Rob
Old 11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it still knock after putting oil in it?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies!!

The sound is still there. I feel like the sound got worse...I dont want to blame it on the dealership. but...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Engines burn oil but not definitely not 4.5 quarts/5 in 6k miles. At most you'd burn a quart between oil changes. BMW recommends annual oil changes at 15k miles, I don't really agree with that but I changed once on my BMW and it has 21k miles and no problems.

Possibilities:
Fuel Injectors
Gas Quality
Spark Plugs/Wires
Carbon build up
Knock Sensor

If you're not using quality gas i.e Chevron, Shell, Mobil, 76 etc... probably should start, they have additives to help keep your internals free from carbon build up, which can lead to knocking. They sell gas cheaper than everyone else but have to make their money somehow. You may have a back knock sensor. It may be time to replace your spark plugs and wires. While you're at it you can put an additive in your fuel tank to clean your injectors.

I usually change my oil every 3.5-5k in all my cars and I never have a problem.

If you're having knocking I'd suggest you stop driving it until you get it repaired, you can cause more damage.

Even in extreme driving conditions, for an engine to burn 4.5 quarts of oil in 6k miles is ridiculous.

Dealership is a business trying to make money, don't trust them for anything, most of the maintenance you can do yourself with $20 Walmart tools, and some beer. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 12 doesent use any 10k on the clock.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jobretjk17
Thanks for all the replies!!

The sound is still there. I feel like the sound got worse...I dont want to blame it on the dealership. but...

I agree with the other posters. The cheapest option is to locate a used engine and find someone to do the swap. You could even offer to help, if you are mechanically inclined to keep the cost down.
I don't understand the comment of wanting to blame the dealership. They may gladly rip you off and smile at you but they didn't cause this. Not their responsibility to come to your house and remind you of oil changes or check your oil. No offense dude but it is an expensive lesson learned...take care of your shit!! No one else will.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Canibeat
Engines burn oil but not definitely not 4.5 quarts/5 in 6k miles. At most you'd burn a quart between oil changes. BMW recommends annual oil changes at 15k miles, I don't really agree with that but I changed once on my BMW and it has 21k miles and no problems.
A lot of the 3.8's have a problem with burning oil, it is not uncommon to burn a quart/1000 miles with these engines. The OP stated he was 6000 beyond the scheduled oil change. So he was at 9k to 12k since the last oil change (and Im guessing the last time it was checked.) Yes his vehicle burned more than most modern vehicles do nowadays but Im pretty sure chrysler sadly considers up to a quart/1000 normal. He waited until it was knocking and then drove it to the dealer to have it checked instead of shutting it down and putting oil in it or having it towed there. I would take an educated guess and say that motor is toast.

Anyways good luck on your search OP
Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
I agree with the other posters. The cheapest option is to locate a used engine and find someone to do the swap. You could even offer to help, if you are mechanically inclined to keep the cost down.
I don't understand the comment of wanting to blame the dealership. They may gladly rip you off and smile at you but they didn't cause this. Not their responsibility to come to your house and remind you of oil changes or check your oil. No offense dude but it is an expensive lesson learned...take care of your shit!! No one else will.
Thats what I am looking into...I need to save every penny I can
I am not blaming the dealership for not making me come in or the knocking. I was simply saying it got worse after the dealership put oil in it.
I am currently learning the lesson. Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine Problem--Need serious Help!!