Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine rpms slow to drop when shifting

Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the superchips trail dash has 3 throttle response settings. I'm not sure they effect rpm drop since i have an auto, but it def was a huge improvement in throttle response. something to look into since the other mentioned unit isn't cheap by any means, may aswell maximize your dollar investment if the trail dash doesn what your looking for! (just my 2 cents)
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sprint booster is the product.. Check it out!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Sprint booster is the product.. Check it out!
Looks like the sprint booster isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I read some comments and review on project jk and it seems to only improve throttle response in regards to acceleration but not drop the rpms between shifts.

Hopefully some tuning manufacturer will recognize that people do not like the way the rpms drop between shifts and come up with a tune of sorts. Until then I tried several techniques and am able to drive it just fine, just miss a cable operated throttle that's for sure.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Maybe Flywheel Weight??

I remember reading a few years back that guys in some cars were going with lighter flywheels to help with rpm drop between shifts thus better shifts. Does anyone know the weight of the flywheel vs the weight of the old flywheel. Just a thought not a solution.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

I've noticed it too and it's less apparent if you accelerate easy and shift at lower RPMs. Shifting right at 2K rpms seems to yield the smoothest driving experience.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2012 with the manual trans and my throttle response seems OK. I've owned some Japanese cars where the revs would hang on every shift and I know how annoying it is. Honda had to come up with a reflash for the 2006 Si after folks complained.

I've not noticed my Jeep hang the revs between shifts but it could be due to my driving style. I treat the Jeep like a little truck and shift pretty slowly. It's not a problem. The OP might want to take a test drive in another Jeep to see if it feels the same. It could be something specific to his vehicle.

Quick Reply: Engine rpms slow to drop when shifting