Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine sounds like pennies rattling in a can

Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine sounds like pennies rattling in a can

I have a 2011 manual transmission and recently the engine has been sounding crummy from the start at the beginning of 1st gear and at the beginning of 2nd gear. It's really loud and nasty and sounds like that old knock from the gas commercials when a car is turned off, but mine is happening while accelerating. The noise is even louder and nastier when I have the AC on.

I'm sure I read about this here somewhere in the past but couldn't find it. Any ideas what this issue is?

I may be over thinking it too but it also seems like my power at the beginning of 1st gear has weakened.

Lastly, and not sure if this is related, but at least once a week I have an issue momentarily trying to turn the jeep over to start it. It will sputter out and then I'll have to turn the key off and back on and it always starts the 2nd attempt. This problem almost always follows when I have been driving and then stop, to run in to the store and then back on the road. It never happens when the jeep has been sitting all day at work or overnight.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 AM
JK Newbie

You bought a diesel ;-)
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like some of the issues that people with oil consumption problems had.

Are you burning any oil?

What grade gas and do you always use the same station?

Burning Lot's of oil or crappy gas both cause detonation (pinging sound) and power loss.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep an eye on your oil level and try a tank of shell 91 or name brand ethanol free 87 if you can find it.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

It sounds like spark knock, also known as pinging. Oil consumption, bad gas, and carbon buildup can all cause this. I would start by trying a higher octane good quality fuel and running a good carbon cleaner like Mopar combustion chamber cleaner. Check your oil while you are at it.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same thing here if I use anything under 91 octane

Quick Reply: Engine sounds like pennies rattling in a can