Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ESP BAS & ABS & BRAKE dash lights ON

Old 10-21-2017, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP BAS & ABS & BRAKE dash lights ON

Recently while driving down the road I get a ding noise and the following idiot lights appear on the dash:

ABS
ESP BAS
BRAKE
Traction Control

Another wierd thing is my speedometer drops about 10 mph briefly.

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-21-2017, 02:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

As strange as it sounds, it could be your battery going bad. Our jeeps behave very strangely when the battery goes bad, including random lights on dash flashing on and off and speedo going whacky. Could also be loose terminals on the battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by rob_engineer:
Aussiecrd (10-16-2019), Cordelia21 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2017, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
As strange as it sounds, it could be your battery going bad. Our jeeps behave very strangely when the battery goes bad, including random lights on dash flashing on and off and speedo going whacky. Could also be loose terminals on the battery.
I'll check the terminals, but the battery is only a few years old. Funny thing is, after I posted this... I parked and left for about an hour. I got back in and drove home, (30 minute drive) and the lights and beeping never appeared. I did notice it a couple of days ago. So... it's not continuous. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

If it's a stock battery from Chrysler, they are known to fail in as little as 2 years. Happened to me as well as many others on here.
The following users liked this post:
Cordelia21 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2017, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done anything to or with your battery recently or previously? Added aftermarket lights, accessories, etc? Definitely could be battery going bad but before that I would check tightness and correct installation of cables at posts. I had a loose neg and had similar intermittent dash lights and actions.
The following users liked this post:
Cordelia21 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2017, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it's a stock battery from Chrysler, they are known to fail in as little as 2 years. Happened to me as well as many others on here.
Battery is not stock. I replaced it a couple of years ago. Found this video:
Watch "Replacing Wheel Speed Sensor on Jeep Wrangler Jk U1417" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/aMRaP40FH7s
Old 10-21-2017, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bilash31
Have you done anything to or with your battery recently or previously? Added aftermarket lights, accessories, etc? Definitely could be battery going bad but before that I would check tightness and correct installation of cables at posts. I had a loose neg and had similar intermittent dash lights and actions.
Hummm... I did take it in for the factory recall PS airbag replacement a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps they didn't tighten things up. 👍
Old 10-22-2017, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I went out this morning, popped the hood and discovered that when the dealer did the repair recently, they found a battery terminal nut to be a bit corroded, so they replaced it... and it was only "finger tight". They even left the old nut on top of the battery. I tightened it up and we're going to breakfast this morning... so will see if the lights come back on or not. I also noticed the battery is 5 years old! Time flies.Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery.jpg
Views:	1849
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	675642

Last edited by spartacus_33; 10-22-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:52 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the update. I've had many vehicles in my 30+ years of driving and never had one show the whacky symptoms like our jeeps have.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. I've had many vehicles in my 30+ years of driving and never had one show the whacky symptoms like our jeeps have.
I hate to jinx myself but after a 35 mile round-trip to breakfast this morning, there are/were no lights or digging noises after tightening that loose cable connection. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: ESP BAS & ABS & BRAKE dash lights ON