Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ETC light and Sentry Key light > no start

Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETC light and Sentry Key light > no start

The wife was ready to head home last night when she turned the key and ..... nothing. The radio came on, lights are fine, dash light do the 3 second check then the Sentry key light (above the coolant temp) and the ETC light (the lightning bolt) stayed lit. About 10 seconds later, the ETC light goes out and the Sentry light stays lit. It doesn't click, doesn't turn over, nothing. Radio still plays and you can turn the lights on and turn the key > no dimming what-so-ever. She called the dealership this morn and they said "dead battery". Now... there was absolutely no reason for a dead battery and with the dash lights on, I seriously don't believe it so I told em "no way > come pick it up and fix it!" so they sent a towtruck. They haven't touched it yet but it really seems like they are going to claim dead battery. I didn't try to jump it because I really felt it a waste of time AND my car isn't the easiest to jump from (reloc'd battery in a box in the trunk). So I guess we'll find out Monday > but we didn't get a loaner so I'm hoping this doesn't take more than a few days. I may call and demand a loaner on Monday if it's gonna be more than a day or so. I'll post back when I get the skinny. And if it's a dead batt... I'll eat my words!! Lol. (you never know with this Can-Bus stuff).
Old 12-03-2007, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Welp... must notta been TOO serious. Just got a call from the dealership and they said it's ready for pickup. Guess I'll see if I get to eat my words on the battery in a few. I also wonder if they took care of the recalls we advised them of when we called. Probably not.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Something went haywire with the Sentry key module/alarm module (and I don't have the alarm/keyless entry). There is supposedly a TSB but I didn't find it anywhere. They also did the G40 recall.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Zee
JK Freak

I just had this happen. It went to the dealership on a tow truck. 744 km
Old 12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Zee
JK Freak

What was funny is that they set the alarm off a tthe dealership and whn I left 15 minutes later it was still going. It is all OK now according to the dealer, and they are running tests. I think they may have pulled the IOD (M13) fuse or battery to reset the security system and gotten rid of the problem in the process.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

I just got mine back from the dealership yesterday after having the same problem. They pulled the IOD fuse out for 30 seconds, reinstalled the fuse and then drove it off the flatbed and into their garage. After running the starscan tests, they determined that the sentry key immobilizer control module had to be replaced and then they had to reprogram both of the keys.

I guess it's good to note that pulling the IOD fuse and reinstalling it is a great way to avoid having to wait an hour for a tow truck next time.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Zee
JK Freak

This appears to be fairly common. If it happens again, I'll try to get them to switch out the control module. The error codes were:

B1A09 - RKE FOB 2 PERFORMANCE
U0168 - Lost Communication With Vehicle Security Control Module (skreem/wcm)

What codes did you have? I would like to flag this with Chrysler/Jeep, and make sure they get on it.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

The invoice only shows:
4276 WCM internal malfunction star scan test /B2224-Skreem module
internal active code / perf diag for DTC / test repl skreem module / reprogram ingition keys / immobilizer repl.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Zee
JK Freak

I've sent a note to Chrysler regarding this. We'll see if anything happens.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same thing here

Went to start and nothing, no click or anything. I just got to thinking and pulled the IOD fuse and it has worked fine ever since. Do i need to go to the dealer??

Quick Reply: ETC light and Sentry Key light > no start