Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Evo manual disconnect mod - preparation

Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Evo manual disconnect mod - preparation

I'm preparing to remove my e-disconnect and install the evo manual disco. I'm doing this late in the game, 2008 JK, my e-disco managed to keep working until now (seems like I'm lucky based on what I've been reading).

I'm fairly certain there is some kind of mechanical issue with the disco system, given the problem started with a flashing "sway bar" light that did not resolve by pressing the button to reconnect. My understanding is the sway should be connected if there is an interruption in power. Given the light flashed for a couple days before finally reconnecting, I'm thinking two culprits:
- Electrical issue, computer was waiting for a signal that sway was reconnected that it never got, even though the sway was reconnected. I don't think this was the case, when cornering turns, definitely felt disconnected.
- Mechanical issue, possibly a spring or other part within the disco mechanism seized up, this is what I'm concerned about as a manual disco won't fix this problem.

I've seen write-ups for this mod, and they all show a puddle of rust pouring out of the e-disco once removed, raising further concern of parts seizing up (particularly with my JK being 10 years old). Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I should treat the area within the housing of the e-disco before installing the Evo? Perhaps something like lithium grease on the push button for the disconnect, working it in with the manual knob a few times?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would spray the internal area down with Fluid Film which can be purchased from Lowe's. And then seal it up. I had a buddy who successfully disassembled the sway bar disco and rebuilt it.

Quick Reply: Evo manual disconnect mod - preparation