Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extremely rough idle after accident

Old 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely rough idle after accident

About 3 weeks ago I was in an accident where a lady turned in front of me. Took out the front bumper, and some of the steering. But the big issue is how it is idling now.

Before the accident, it idled as smooth as you could possibly want. After hitting her, it started vibrating like crazy So here are the symptoms:

When sitting still, like at a stop light, and whether in park or in drive, it sounds fine. But inside I feel the vibration in the steering wheel, dash, floor, and seat. Vibrates so much and so fast actually starts to make a drone tone. Even rattles anything metal in the front.

While in that same position, if you step outside and feel the body, hood, or engine, you feel only a slight vibration.

Get the vehicle under load, as in drive or reverse, same thing, when at idle speed.

Start moving, and as you give more throttle, vibration disappears. At 70 mph, it runs like it should.

The only way you can feel the vibration is in the cabin. And while this might sound hard to believe, it is extremely rough, even though you cant feel it outside hardly at all.

I have checked all mounts; engine and tranny. Found a bad spark plug and wire. Replaced both, as well as the rest of the spark plugs, and it seems slightly better, but not much.

Any ideas? Had this thing at 2 shops and no one can figure it out.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Took it to another shop and they have no idea what it is either. Anyone have some input?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rockroaster
About 3 weeks ago I was in an accident where a lady turned in front of me. Took out the front bumper, and some of the steering. But the big issue is how it is idling now.

Before the accident, it idled as smooth as you could possibly want. After hitting her, it started vibrating like crazy So here are the symptoms:

When sitting still, like at a stop light, and whether in park or in drive, it sounds fine. But inside I feel the vibration in the steering wheel, dash, floor, and seat. Vibrates so much and so fast actually starts to make a drone tone. Even rattles anything metal in the front.

While in that same position, if you step outside and feel the body, hood, or engine, you feel only a slight vibration.

Get the vehicle under load, as in drive or reverse, same thing, when at idle speed.

Start moving, and as you give more throttle, vibration disappears. At 70 mph, it runs like it should.

The only way you can feel the vibration is in the cabin. And while this might sound hard to believe, it is extremely rough, even though you cant feel it outside hardly at all.

I have checked all mounts; engine and tranny. Found a bad spark plug and wire. Replaced both, as well as the rest of the spark plugs, and it seems slightly better, but not much.

Any ideas? Had this thing at 2 shops and no one can figure it out.
That sucks man..finding these kinds of gremlins after an accident can take forever.
Since you have checked motor mounts, I would get a good look at all of your pulleys while the motor is running and see if you can find anything. They always look like they have a little wiggle, but maybe you have a messed up pulley somewhere that is causing resistance?
Since you say you can't hear it outside of the Jeep try and find where it is coming from by putting a large screw driver against various parts of the motor and body while its running, and put the handle up to your ear...its like a home made stethoscope...it may help you figure it where it is coming from and from there figure it how to remedy it.
My old cobalt ss had a buzzing sound and I swore it was something that fell into the dashboard, until one day it was quiet out side and I shut the door and heard it from the outside! Turns out it was a piece of sheet metal rubbing the frame because it was 1/32" to snug. A small piece of rubber wedged in there solved it but it took about 9 months to find it...I hope you get this resolved much sooner then that!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2002 TJ that vibrated like crazy under a load. I changed all the cv joints still no luck. It ended up being my fan. The clutch on the fan went bad and it was vibrating under a load. If you had a front end accident check out your fan. Take it off and put a electronic one on there.

Last edited by killerbee2012; 02-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by killerbee2012
I had a 2002 TJ that vibrated like crazy under a load. I changed all the cv joints still no luck. It ended up being my fan. The clutch on the fan went bad and it was vibrating under a load. If you had a front end accident check out your fan. Take it off and put a electronic one on there.
The Jk's have electric fans from the factory, so it's not that. But I did check the clutch on the ac the other day wondering if it had anything to do with it, and it was fine
Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by efan450

That sucks man..finding these kinds of gremlins after an accident can take forever.
Since you have checked motor mounts, I would get a good look at all of your pulleys while the motor is running and see if you can find anything. They always look like they have a little wiggle, but maybe you have a messed up pulley somewhere that is causing resistance?
Since you say you can't hear it outside of the Jeep try and find where it is coming from by putting a large screw driver against various parts of the motor and body while its running, and put the handle up to your ear...its like a home made stethoscope...it may help you figure it where it is coming from and from there figure it how to remedy it.
My old cobalt ss had a buzzing sound and I swore it was something that fell into the dashboard, until one day it was quiet out side and I shut the door and heard it from the outside! Turns out it was a piece of sheet metal rubbing the frame because it was 1/32" to snug. A small piece of rubber wedged in there solved it but it took about 9 months to find it...I hope you get this resolved much sooner then that!
Thanks for the advise man. Checked the pulleys the other day, then again today after reading this, and they all seems fine. Did the screwdriver test as well, and everything sounds as it should. Nothing out of the norm from what I can tell.

Went back through everything again tonight, and still no luck. Everything is as it should be, and the idle is perfect. Just vibrating like crazy. Laid under it for awhile with the engine running, and slid my hands up and down both sides of the frame rails to see if I can determine where it is coming from by seeing where the vibration felt stronger. It definitely felt stronger as I got to the back of the engine, and towards to transmission, then faded again as I went to the rear. Makes me think that something was missed at the tranny mounts. They look fine, but I may need to pull them out again, and just replace them to see where I stand. I can't think of anything else, and if its running smoothly, I don't see how it can be anything else but a mount.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check the motor mounts as well they can get damaged from the impact

Last edited by JeeP_MarK; 02-28-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like mounts, but since you've already checked them, it leads me to believe there may be something coming into contact with the motor that is causing vibrations to be transmitted to the cab area.

Check to see if there is any hard parts touching the engine or trans. And I know you said you checked the mounts and they look ok, but they could also be collapsed. In that case it could be difficult to tell if they are just by taking a glance at them. Maybe look at another jk and compare to yours.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Long shot, but you may want to check the exhaust and see if it's touching any metal around the tranny area.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 AM
JK Newbie

Loose flywheel / flex plate?

Quick Reply: Extremely rough idle after accident