Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extremely rough idle after accident

Old 04-08-2019, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exact same situation extreme rough idle after minor front fender bender

I had a minor fender bender last week on Friday or just my front bumper was dented in slightly. It is shaking at idle so bad it feels like it’s a really rough ride he can’t hear it or feel it outside of the truck only when you’re in the truck did you ever find out what was wrong with your jeep why I was acting this way after a minor fender bender?
Originally Posted by Rockroaster
About 3 weeks ago I was in an accident where a lady turned in front of me. Took out the front bumper, and some of the steering. But the big issue is how it is idling now.

Before the accident, it idled as smooth as you could possibly want. After hitting her, it started vibrating like crazy So here are the symptoms:

When sitting still, like at a stop light, and whether in park or in drive, it sounds fine. But inside I feel the vibration in the steering wheel, dash, floor, and seat. Vibrates so much and so fast actually starts to make a drone tone. Even rattles anything metal in the front.

While in that same position, if you step outside and feel the body, hood, or engine, you feel only a slight vibration.

Get the vehicle under load, as in drive or reverse, same thing, when at idle speed.

Start moving, and as you give more throttle, vibration disappears. At 70 mph, it runs like it should.

The only way you can feel the vibration is in the cabin. And while this might sound hard to believe, it is extremely rough, even though you cant feel it outside hardly at all.

I have checked all mounts; engine and tranny. Found a bad spark plug and wire. Replaced both, as well as the rest of the spark plugs, and it seems slightly better, but not much.

Any ideas? Had this thing at 2 shops and no one can figure it out.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Motor mounts out of place is where I would check. Transmission mount also.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Motor mounts out of place is where I would check. Transmission mount also.
+1. Seems that you had enough of a jolt that a mount was damaged, and is now transferring a lot of the energy through to the body.

Quick Reply: Extremely rough idle after accident