Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Factory Sunrider Top & Safari Top vs. Trektop NX

Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Sunrider Top & Safari Top vs. Trektop NX

Need some help deciding here.....I am new to the forum so I will say sorry ahead of time if this is the wrong category to post this in. I am looking to acquire a soft top for my JKU. I have a factory hard top and I am trying to decide whether to go with a factory soft top or the Trektop NX. I like the looks of the Trektop NX but it is on "National Backorder" according to all the distributors so that brings me to this question. Which is better the factory Sunrider soft top or the Trektop NX? If I bought the soft top I would also buy a Safari top which would give me all the advantages of the Trektop NX...I think. I would love to hear some opinions on this and especially from the ones who have had both tops. The cost would be comparable as I would be purchasing a used soft top and safari top. Please help me decide.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Just got my NX last week (2 actually) and I love it. PITA to install and close the first time but after being on for a week or so and getting some sum, it fits like a glove. Not much road noise difference between the nx and the hardtop that I've notice..then again I work in construction so I could be going deaf. I say go for the NX. Looks cooler.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went back and forth between the trektop nx and oem. yesterday I got the oem. one thing that did it for me was the fact that you had to completely remove the trektop it didn't just roll up. the trektop is sweet looking though.

as for the safari top search soft top mod, there is a way to roll the oem back like the safari top if you go that route.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 AM
JK Junkie

After using all three tops I can say that the Trektop NX is right in the middle as far as noise goes, it's louder than the hardtop but quieter than the OEM. Now in terms of dropping the top and running open this is where the OEM top shines. Nothing is faster than it! Plus it fits in the back of the vehicle and just unfolds to go back up, the NX is a huge pain in the ass to get all the way off, you have to go through multiple steps, removing each window since they all link together and have to all be pulled to get the back open. They can't be rolled since they have a rigid form to them to help with supporting the back end of the top. Once you've gotten through this part you have to unlatch the header and completely remove the entire top bikini part, with no place to actually store it since it doesn't fit in the back like the OEM one does. I say OEM top takes 10 minutes MAX to go completely down, NX takes 15 or more depending on how stubborn it's gonna be, and putting it back on is the whole process of basically installing the thing. If I had know this I probably would have stayed away from it. Does it look cool yup, but that's about it.

On a separate note, I do like having the ability to run various combinations of soft tops though.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lucas041583
Need some help deciding here.....I am new to the forum so I will say sorry ahead of time if this is the wrong category to post this in. I am looking to acquire a soft top for my JKU. I have a factory hard top and I am trying to decide whether to go with a factory soft top or the Trektop NX. I like the looks of the Trektop NX but it is on "National Backorder" according to all the distributors so that brings me to this question. Which is better the factory Sunrider soft top or the Trektop NX? If I bought the soft top I would also buy a Safari top which would give me all the advantages of the Trektop NX...I think. I would love to hear some opinions on this and especially from the ones who have had both tops. The cost would be comparable as I would be purchasing a used soft top and safari top. Please help me decide.
Trektop NX hands down! It is worth the wait!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4003908235.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	327900   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3640372633.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	327901   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2226062705.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	327902   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1309788978.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	327903  
Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Jeepster

Trektop NX hands down! It is worth the wait!
Oh, forgot... You can go into safari mode in about 30 seconds. If it starts to rain jus stop and flip it back down, another 30 seconds. Really cool!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mr Jeepster, I know this is off subject but what size wheels and tire are you running?? Also is your JK lifted?? Sorry to go off subject but it's the first time I saw photos of your JK. Looks awesome.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beechnd
Mr Jeepster, I know this is off subject but what size wheels and tire are you running?? Also is your JK lifted?? Sorry to go off subject but it's the first time I saw photos of your JK. Looks awesome.
Tereflex leveling kit, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Motorsport rims.

Quick Reply: Factory Sunrider Top & Safari Top vs. Trektop NX