Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fender cleaning

Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fender cleaning

I got covered in white clay the other day and it has stained my fenders and bumper. What's the best product to clean the black plastic with?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you find out let me know! I swear, when that plastic gets a little age on it they are harder and harder to keep clean and looking good.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Simple green and a pressure washer is good but I haven't found anything to really get them back to new. I've tried the back to black, back to black extreme, armor all's 100 car wash plastic restorer, and their specific trim restorer. Nothing lasts more than a week and all of it looks terrible compared to a new (1-2 yr old) set of flares.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I'll try Simple Green. Armor All didn't work too well.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

In my experience, the best way to get those flares clean is Apathy! If you just don't care that they look faded and dirty, it won't matter!

... Seriously though, I've never been able to get them to look anywhere near clean/new again, so I just shrugged and stopped caring.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone ever try the Wipe New?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Wipe new fits in the same category as the Armor All Outlast (guaranteed for a whole year of car washing). Looks good when you apply and it goes downhill quickly from there. The outlast doesn't last more than a couple weeks for me. My newest trial is turtle wax ice that is supposed to darken plastic. Optimistic, but realistic- it's a good wax but I haven't seen my flares getting any darker.

I'd like to remove them, degrease them, paint, satin clear, then go from there. My only issue is when they get scratched you'd have to repeat the process and probably have to sand the flares to eliminate the scratches.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Simp[le green and a a scrub brush. The longer you leave the clay on the more the stain sets.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proven Method

Once a year I clean them with Spray Nine and a brush. Then I apply Mothers Back to Black. I empty the bottle into a bowl, and paint it on using a bristle chip brush (tried foam once and it fell apart). After one trip around, I go back and even out the coat. Wait 20 min or so and wipe off any excess. Looks amazing and lasts for months.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by RepressedSince15
Once a year I clean them with Spray Nine and a brush. Then I apply Mothers Back to Black. I empty the bottle into a bowl, and paint it on using a bristle chip brush (tried foam once and it fell apart). After one trip around, I go back and even out the coat. Wait 20 min or so and wipe off any excess. Looks amazing and lasts for months.
Any completed pics of the process? Before, after, and a couple weeks later.

Quick Reply: Fender cleaning