Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fishtailing at speed

Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Been out for a few days and catching up on things. Mike...for what I've seen you doing....an upgraded tie rod is going to be worth the money. The factory TR's bend pretty easily, and it sounds like you might have experienced this on the last trip. It only takes a good knock or a drop on to a rock to do it, and you obviously see it's one of the first things to get knocked up against a rock. I've had the Synergy TR for several years now. I'd suggest looking for something beefier than that even given what you're interest seems to be. If I had a do-over I'd get something else myself. If your TR is bent, your toe is going to be out of spec, but that shouldn't cause the symptom your describing. You'd likely hear front tires chirping on pavement (you really hear in parking garages and such more than normal street) and see abnormal wear over time.

What you've described seems odd.....and not a normal thing we experience. I don't care for trips to the dealer myself. I'd start by double checking torque on everything, especially your front and rear track bars. I can't recall what equipment you're working with (updated profile helps). If you have aftermarket control arms, I have seen bad joints causing issues with jeep veering pretty badly.....to the point when driving behind buddy telling him he looked like a drunk driver going back and forth....but I can't recall if you have factory or aftermarket arms.

Originally Posted by mr72
No way. It's certainly rigid enough to position the wheels when turning. If it was repeatedly flexing enough to oscillate like this then it would fatigue in just a few seconds and break entirely.
Agree w/ Mr72

Last edited by resharp001; 10-02-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the dealer now. Bent control arm $350 to replace with adjustable. I did come down pretty hard on rocks and ledges a few times.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sure enough, bent control arm. That’s about the only thing I didn’t check. I guess that’s what I get for wheeling above my comfort zone. We did a few 4 and 5 rated trails at SMORR and my abilities are probably more like a 2 or 3. I did come down pretty hard on a couple ledges. Not sure what you could do to eliminate this, but those arms are definately in harm’s way. Do they even make a skid plate that protects these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	36791372653_74c3c37f21_z_d.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	675232
Old 10-02-2017, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Metalcloak and don't look back.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don’t go with the dealer. You will have the same issue if you do it again. The Metalcloak is the way to go. If you can’t do it yourself go to a d cent 4WD shop.

Ed
Old 10-04-2017, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eandras
Don’t go with the dealer. You will have the same issue if you do it again. The Metalcloak is the way to go. If you can’t do it yourself go to a d cent 4WD shop.

Ed
I am going to install them myself, then take it the same shop that did my lift to have it aligned. After several hours of reading and asking questions on forums I found it was really simple.

To change both arms and align the dealer was going to charge me $400! That’s just labor.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI there's nothing to align unless you also replace the tie rod. In that case it is only toe.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr72
FYI there's nothing to align unless you also replace the tie rod. In that case it is only toe.
You can set caster witk adjustable lower control arms.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
You can set caster witk adjustable lower control arms.
Good point. I didn't bother to guess which LCAs the OP was having installed.

For that matter, you can also set axle center with adjustable track bar and you can set steering wheel centering with the stock adjustable drag link. I think all of that should likely be considered "front end alignment" on a JK.

However if you take a Jeep to an ordinary shop who does alignments, they will charge you for an alignment even though there's nothing to adjust (because they won't do aftermarket adjustments) except toe, and given the factory tolerances, odds are slim they will actually adjust toe.

I guess the 4wd shop who does the work will be able to adjust all of this. IDK since I do it all myself.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would note that MOST alignment shops will scan it, show you the specs, and ask if you want them to align it. You TYPICALLY have the opportunity to say no, they give you the print out and you go home.....especially if your toe and steering wheel are right....cuz there is nothing for them to do.

Quick Reply: Fishtailing at speed