Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fixing blend box door

Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 PM
kb1
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing blend box door

Is it difficult to fix the heater blend box door yourself? I'm cursed with the cold on driver side, hotter than the fires of hell passenger side problem that seems to be plaguing alot of JK owners. It's out of warranty, and I really don't feel like paying the dealer a $1000 to fix a stupid little part. If I can do it myself that would be great.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the shop manual you can do it if you have time to spend on it. Not much fun from my experience working on Ford climate control boxs. Maybe the Jeep has it setup better.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The hard part is getting the HVAC out of the dash.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kb1
Is it difficult to fix the heater blend box door yourself? I'm cursed with the cold on driver side, hotter than the fires of hell passenger side problem that seems to be plaguing alot of JK owners. It's out of warranty, and I really don't feel like paying the dealer a $1000 to fix a stupid little part. If I can do it myself that would be great.
search Google for quick and easy steps to fix the blend door without removing the hvac housing....the instructions are for a TJ but i would contact whoever came up with this and see if it has been done in a JK yet. I am still under warranty and my Jeep is going in for the third time for the exact same issue. They replaced my heater core and the complete blower housing and the problem came back shortly within a couple of months...i may have to resort to the "home remedy" soon.

good luck and let us know the results.

i just found the link.....hxxp://heatertreater.net/........(replace xx with 'tt'
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM
kb1
JK Newbie

I have a vacation coming up, so I can mess around with it . I know it's the blend box door/gate. It's absolutely ridiculous to have this kinda problem. Hopefully it's not a major pain to get it fixed. Just looks like you have to tear your dash apart. Should be fun
Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by kb1
I have a vacation coming up, so I can mess around with it . I know it's the blend box door/gate. It's absolutely ridiculous to have this kinda problem. Hopefully it's not a major pain to get it fixed. Just looks like you have to tear your dash apart. Should be fun
If you get it apart, take some pictures of the blend door in place, and what broke on it.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kb1
Spoke with a dodge tech about this and he said if the ac system does not have the proper amount of r134 it will act just like that. So you might have the system checked for proper charge before tearing it apart.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by genesbro
Spoke with a dodge tech about this and he said if the ac system does not have the proper amount of r134 it will act just like that. So you might have the system checked for proper charge before tearing it apart.
Now there is an interesting idea. I wonder if any "a/c delete" guys like me have experienced the hot on one side cold on the other phenomena. I know I haven't.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am having this problem right now, my ac blows hot on the driver side and cool on the passenger side. I will post back with what I find out. Going to check coolant charge first then look into the blend door.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got my ac fixed, turns out it was just low on coolant, recharged it myself for $30 and now its cold as ever. Also it looks like the blend door on the 07s anyway are a mechanical linkage not a motor.

Quick Reply: Fixing blend box door