Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

force a reset of the TPMS after tire rotation?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default force a reset of the TPMS after tire rotation?

So I did a 5-tire rotation on my JKU for the first time since I owned it (there are reasons...).

Now the TPMS warning is doing its thing and the front left tire shows "--". The tire that WAS on the front left is now the spare.

I know everyone is going to say drive it a bit, but I've driven about 70 miles on it and it's still not picking up the new tire locations. I wonder if there's any way to just force it to reset and re-detect? I'm honestly concerned that the wheels are close enough to where they were before that it's just not bothering to recalculate.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Seems strange. I've still got the factory TPMS, and although I don't do 5 tire rotations, I have had to work my spare in to the mix both in short and longer term situations. Never had a problem with it picking up the appropriate TPM. If it is just the one wheel not getting picked up, think there's a chance that the sense in the wheel (the previous spare) is faulty? 70 miles seems like more than enough time to register.

Have a buddy that does 5 tire rotations and still has factory TPMS as well. Never had a problem with like this either.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
If it is just the one wheel not getting picked up, think there's a chance that the sense in the wheel (the previous spare) is faulty?
I considered that, but the tire that was the spare is now on the right-rear, and the tire not registering is the front-left.

The front-left tire was moved to the spare. So this seems the TPMS has just not re-registered any of the tires' locations. It still thinks the tires are in their original places, and the front-left which it remembers is not giving a signal because it is not turning, since it's on the back of the Jeep.

If it had reset correctly and the previous spare had a faulty TPMS sensor, then it would show the right-rear was out.

They can't possibly do this from the factory. I mean, we test drive these things with 8 or 10 miles on them, not enough for the TPMS to do it's detection routine, and they don't throw the TPMS warning. So there must be some procedure they do at the factory to force it to learn. Now, maybe that's not possible to do without a factory diagnostic tool, but I figured it was worth asking.

EDIT : research indicates that it requires 10 minutes at >15mph to retrain. I assume this is 10 minutes steady >15mph driving, not 10 minutes of accumulated driving. My commute has no length of road where I can drive 10 minutes without stopping. So I may try today to see if I can find some empty stretch of road to get it to reset.

Would be way easier of they just put it in the EVIC. But this is far from the most egregious oversight in the JK electronics

Last edited by mr72; 09-21-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I never ran into this. The 1st time I ran into TPS problems after getting new tires, I took the easy route out after banging my head against the wall....I removed the sensors and got a SC Flashcal to turn off the dash light.

Probably your best bet would be to disconnect the battery, let it sit for 10 minutes then reconnect and drive it around to see what happens.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-21-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I never ran into this. The 1st time I ran into TPS problems after getting new tires, I took the easy route out after banging my head against the wall....I removed the sensors and got a SC Flashcal to turn off the dash light.

Probably your best bet would be to disconnect the battery, let it sit for 10 minutes then reconnect to see what happens.

I have a Flashcal, but with the current Flashcal software you can't change the pressure threshold, you can just turn it on and off. And I have it turned off. But this doesn't disable the "malfunction" light. It just disables the "low pressure" indicator. You can still deflate to 10 psi and no light.

I may resort to the battery thing. I just hate to have to reset my bluetooth settings.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

On my 2009, it just has a single idiot low pressure light. You obviously, have a newer and fancier TPMS. More functions=more problems.

You can change the pressure threshold with the Flashcal. I recently was part of another discussion on this topic. What we determined is that If you have a newer F5 Flashcal, then you need to update to the latest available firmware and you will have that option. If you have an F4 or older than you're SOL.

I have an F5 and have the threshold adjust. I just don't have any sensors so it does me no good.

Since you have a Flashcal, you may want to try setting the TPMS back to factory default. Who knows what problems any adjustments may cause if you rotate your tires? At least at default, you have the best chance that the electronics connected for the TPMS are communicating as it was originally designed by FCA.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-21-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
What we determined is that If you have a newer F5 Flashcal, then you need to update to the latest available firmware and you will have that option. If you have an F4 or older than you're SOL.

I'll have to double-check. What I determined myself was that before I did a firmware upgrade on my Flashcal, I could set the tire pressure threshold. Once I did the firmware upgrade, it would no longer allow me to set it. AFAIK there's no way to go back. So maybe I have the "F4", I don't know.

However maybe toggling it in the Flashcal will wake up my system. That's a good idea.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

So far about 125 miles and no automatic reset.

I did hook up the Flashcal and noticed that it doesn't even have any option of turning off or adjusting TPMS settings. Looks like at some point before the firmware was "upgraded", I did set the TMPS threshold to zero. I did a "clear DTCs" procedure which at least cleared the TPMS warning light but it still reads "--" for the front left tire.

The annoyance before was the warning light plus it would take over the EVIC display with the tire pressure every time you started the Jeep. The warning light is gone now, still don't know whether it takes over EVIC but if not then I'll probably just ignore the TPMS failure indefinitely.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mr72
I did hook up the Flashcal and noticed that it doesn't even have any option of turning off or adjusting TPMS settings.
You didn't mention if you have an F5 or not.

See here where the mystery has been solved of TPMS threshold adjust or no adjust.
A Little disappointed in Superchips FlashCal - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Old 09-23-2017, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

I have f4. It doesn't have any tmps settings.

Quick Reply: force a reset of the TPMS after tire rotation?