Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

force a reset of the TPMS after tire rotation?

Old 09-23-2017, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? If not, I’d try disconnecting it for at least a half hour.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2
Have you tried disconnecting the battery?
Yeah. Tried that yesterday, so far no joy.I hav e driven 167 miles since doing a 5-tire rotation and it still doesn't pick up the tires correctly.

When I first start it it will flash the TPMS warning light for a minute or so and then sounds a "chime" and the warning light stays lit the entire time I am driving. The display shows the tire pressure and all tires read the correct pressure (37-39 depending on how cold) except front left which shows "--".

At some point with my "F4" Flashcal I must have set the TPMS to "off" because there's no threshold where the TMPS would ever light up. Apparently this trick didn't actually disable the system, since it seems to think a tire sensor is bad so it's firing off the warnings.

BTW the tire that formerly was on the front left is in fact now the spare. It seems clear that the Jeep has just failed to detect the new tires' locations, so it still thinks all of the sensors are in the same spot as before and the front left is missing.

Things I tried:

1. with the Flashcal, I did a "return to stock" ... multiple times. This clears the TPMS alert condition so the TMPS icon goes away from the display when I start it up again but the EVIC display still shows TPMS with the front left tire "--". Then if I drive a couple of miles it will eventually start to blink the TPMS warning icon and then sound the chime and we're back where I am now.

2. unplug the battery for some time (maybe 15 minutes). No change at all to the TPMS behavior. Start the Jeep and the icon blinks for a minute, chimes, then stays on solid. Front left still shows "--"

My next move may be to see if I can locate the actual sensors wherever they are on the frame of the Jeep and disconnect them entirely, in hopes that doing this may force the ECU to "forget" what it thinks it knows about the tires, then reconnect them and let it do its' discovery dance.

What I think is really happening here is that the Jeep just is not re-discovering the wheel positions after the 5-tire rotation. It still thinks the tires are where they were before, but it is now only reading three sensors since the one on the spare never turns on (it doesn't turn). I wonder if what I did with the Flashcal two years ago to "turn off" the TPMS warnings has had the effect of breaking this re-learning functionality of the ECU.

What I really need to know is: how do I force it to reset. Not turn it off. Not change the pressure threshold. Just force it to reset.

Ideas?

[BTW -- another theory is that it doesn't actually detect the new wheel positions as advertised, but that with a normal 4-tire rotation it misreads the tire positions for a long time but nobody notices because the light doesn't come on]

Last edited by mr72; 09-25-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

just for kicks swap the front tire that is not reading to the other side and see if it changes. It is possible you have a bad sensor.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

According to the Discount Tire guy's tool, the tire that was my spare has a bad TPMS sensor.

The odd thing is that tire is on the rear-right, and the Jeep is reporting no signal from front-left.

I think the reason why is because three of the four tire sensors that were working before the tire rotation are still working, so it hasn't recalculated their location. The fourth tire was moved to the spare, it was front-left, now showing no signal.

With any luck it'll reset correctly once I get that sensor replaced.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr72
According to the Discount Tire guy's tool, the tire that was my spare has a bad TPMS sensor.

The odd thing is that tire is on the rear-right, and the Jeep is reporting no signal from front-left.

I think the reason why is because three of the four tire sensors that were working before the tire rotation are still working, so it hasn't recalculated their location. The fourth tire was moved to the spare, it was front-left, now showing no signal.

With any luck it'll reset correctly once I get that sensor replaced.
I have a 2013 jk and had the same problem on the display showing the dotted lines instead a pressure for the left front tire. Mine started several weeks after a 4 tire rotation. I had the sensors flashed at my tire store and the problem went away temorarily. They checked the sensors and all showed good. I also switched the 2
front tires but the problem again went away temporarily but it returned.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
just for kicks swap the front tire that is not reading to the other side and see if it changes. It is possible you have a bad sensor.
Following this thread - I have the same issue except I never flashed anything. Was it a bad sensor that casued the issie and if so which one was bad. Thanks
Old 11-17-2018, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Having the same issue with my 2015 JKU. I put on 2018 JL tires & wheels a few months ago and they’ve been fine. Suddenly after a tire rotation the front left is showing the - -
weird. I’ve driven a few days too
Old 11-18-2018, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default force a reset of the TPMS after tire rotation?

Some scan tools offer you a reset of the TPMS system capability. The following is lifted from the manual for the Foxwell NT520:-

6.3 Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Programming.

TPMS service menu allows you to ... reset after and/or tires are rotated.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Check the owners manual for the proper sequence. On my Jeep you entered the menu and checked the TPMS then it would bring up reset? pushed enter then used the magnet on the valve stem starting with the left front till the horn beeped then the right front and beep, then left rear, beep and right rear, beep and finally spare, beep, yours may have a different pattern so you need to find it in the manual.

Quick Reply: force a reset of the TPMS after tire rotation?