Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Freedom Hard Top storage in a 2-Door Wrangler

Old 02-01-2019, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom Hard Top storage in a 2-Door Wrangler

I recently got a decent deal on a 2018 2-door Sahara JK. I had a Toyota 4Runner for 10 years but very rarely needed a back seat and its V8 was overkill for the occasions where I hauled my dirt bike using a hitch carrier. I'm loving the Jeep and already took the back seat out for a bit more space when my wife and I take our Retriever hiking. I need to put a cargo liner in and will probably spring for the more expensive Weathertech with the roll out bumper guard unless anyone knows of a better setup.
But my real reason for posting is, what do I do with the removable Freedom Top panels when the back seat is out? The Jeep didn't come with the carrier bag, so I'm looking at the OEM one or the Rugged Ridge one; are they basically the same? I found a good deal on an OEM one for $50 and the RR one for $35, so quite a bit less than retail. With the back seat out, I assume I can't stand them vertically and strap them to the front headrests because of the open rear foot wells, right? I could lay them flat in the back but I've read where others have said they will slide around and get chipped up.
Has anyone seen some type of plastic insert that can go in the foot wells to make that area flush with the rear cargo area? Can I get the tops to stand vertically with the back seat out, or am I stuck laying them flat and anchoring them somehow to the cargo hooks to keep them from sliding?
Old 02-01-2019, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get the cargo liner, you may find they stay in place when flat. It is hard to slide stuff on my cargo liner. My wife doesn’t like it because of that.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I put mine in the bag and lay them flat in the back. They fit perfectly and they don't slide.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you're removing and installing those freedom panels so often you're wanting to carry them in the jeep with you, it might be worthwhile to look at a used soft top to use during nicer seasons in your area, then put the hard top on for winter. Round here you can find used soft tops for $250-$300 in good condition. My thought would be 1) if you're taking em on/off all the time, it's not worthwhile, and 2) if you have them off and sitting in the back of the jeep somewhere while it's parked, that's like leaving 3 or 4 nice crisp Franklins sitting there in the back of your jeep for something to take.

Quick Reply: Freedom Hard Top storage in a 2-Door Wrangler