Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front Axles?

Old 07-14-2017, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Front Axles?

So when I bought this JK I knew the right front seal is leaking. Since the JK is stock with 3.21 gears, I figured I'd just fix (or get it fixed) when I switched out to 4.10 gears. My local mechanic said he would re-seal my axle for $700. I trust these people they've never steered me wrong or tried to pull the wool over my eyes on my other vehicles. This cost seems steep to me so I thought....
Instead of getting this Dana 30 repaired or even putting guts into it, why not buy a used axle put the guts in it, reseal the whole darn thing and go from there. Problem is I am having a tough time finding a used Dana 30 from a JK. I've found several rear 44s.

1) Am I correct in thinking that I cannot put a rear Dana 44, in place of my front 30? (By the way LH drive)

2) Are there any other vehicle models that have Dana 44/Dana 30 axle that will be a straight drop in to my JK?

I assume the answer to both my questions is no. I've searched my ass off trying to figure it out, perhaps my internet search skills are not up to par.
Thanks for your input.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Cost is due to the labor, you have to pull the axles out and the differential to get to the seal. You could always just do an tube seal at the outer like this https://www.extremeterrain.com/alloy...-yj-11105.html and not go so far as pulling the differential. Parts to do both front seals, gasket and gear oil would be less then $100. Labor seems a bit high but he must be figuring around 8 hours to do the job. If doing this with a gear change it should only cost $20-75 more then what the gear swap price would be.

You could put a rear axle up front but it would be upside down and you would not be able to steer it since there are no knuckles on it.

No other vehicle axles are going to bolt into the JK.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 07-15-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people upgrade their front 44s on Rubicons, you should be able to find one out there
Old 07-15-2017, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I'm really confused by the original post. You have a leaking front axle seal on your D30. You are planning to regear down the road so haven't replaced it yet. Now you are thinking....why not source a used D30 and put new guts in that instead and slap it under there. To top it off, you're having a hard time finding a D30 as that replacement.

Axle seals are ~$15. Why not just replace that yourself. $30 to replace both, 2 quarts of gear oil, and a few hours of your time.....no more leaky seal. Jack up and support, remove tires, remove brake calipers, remove rotors, remove axle bearing bolts, pull axle shafts out. Remove diff cover bolts, remove bearing caps, pull carrier (keep track of which shims go on which side), and replace seals. Reinstall carrier with shims exactly as they came out....replace bearing caps exactly as they came out, reverse the rest of the procedure.

I'm just not sure what you gain by buying a used D30 and regearing that one instead of yours.....cept at the end you're then left with your old D30 with a leaky axle seal that you have to sell. D30s are always floating around out there.....not sure why having a hard time finding one, but that might just be location related.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You could put a rear axle up front but it would be upside down and you would not be able to steer it since there are no knuckles on it.
No other vehicle axles are going to bolt into the JK.
Thanks Dirtman I reckoned the answer was no.

Originally Posted by resharp001
Axle seals are ~$15. Why not just replace that yourself. $30 to replace both, 2 quarts of gear oil, and a few hours of your time.....no more leaky seal. Jack up and support, remove tires, remove brake calipers, remove rotors, remove axle bearing bolts, pull axle shafts out. Remove diff cover bolts, remove bearing caps, pull carrier (keep track of which shims go on which side), and replace seals. Reinstall carrier with shims exactly as they came out....replace bearing caps exactly as they came out, reverse the rest of the procedure.
The time involved was one factor in doing this. If I open up this can of worms I am going to do the works, not just a band aid. Getting a used 30 it'd be a project piece. Used 30 will get new ball joints, new bushings, new axles, and new differential innards. Having 3 children and a home, I just don't have a ton of disposable income. I'd work on it over a couple of months time. Refill gear oil as needed, clean tire as needed. The real question was whether a different vehicle had a drop in for the JK, or a rear would fit the front. Dirtman provided me the concrete answer I needed. Thanks for your input resharp001, I'll keep it more concise next time I have a question.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Seizer
The time involved was one factor in doing this. If I open up this can of worms I am going to do the works, not just a band aid. Getting a used 30 it'd be a project piece. Used 30 will get new ball joints, new bushings, new axles, and new differential innards. Having 3 children and a home, I just don't have a ton of disposable income. I'd work on it over a couple of months time. Refill gear oil as needed, clean tire as needed. The real question was whether a different vehicle had a drop in for the JK, or a rear would fit the front. Dirtman provided me the concrete answer I needed. Thanks for your input resharp001, I'll keep it more concise next time I have a question.
It sounds like maybe you’re planning on doing your own gearing, and that makes a bit more sense as it would allow you to take your time and there’d be no sense replacing seals and BJs in your current axle. I’m surprised there’s not a D30 floating around the Denver area. You should try calling some of the shops around there. It seems that not long ago TrailJeeps was saying they had a couple D30s sitting around. If you do get tired of that leaky seal.....it's only a couple hours or so labor in your garage to fix it. Do it at a gear oil interval change and you're not out additional expense cept the seal. Those types of things get annoying.

On a side note, I’ll be heading to Colorado to pick up a wood splitter from my dad in August. He’s in Florissant, CO. There is a decent chance I’m pulling an empty trailer up there from DFW just to load this splitter in to. If that turns out to be the case, and a D30 housing was sourceable in the DFW area, I’d probably be willing to pick it up and meet you in Colorado Springs in August.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The outer axle tube seal is a relatively cheap and easy install, you don't pull the diff and only one wheel end.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

It sounds like maybe you’re planning on doing your own gearing, and that makes a bit more sense as it would allow you to take your time and there’d be no sense replacing seals and BJs in your current axle. I’m surprised there’s not a D30 floating around the Denver area. You should try calling some of the shops around there. It seems that not long ago TrailJeeps was saying they had a couple D30s sitting around. If you do get tired of that leaky seal.....it's only a couple hours or so labor in your garage to fix it. Do it at a gear oil interval change and you're not out additional expense cept the seal. Those types of things get annoying.

On a side note, I’ll be heading to Colorado to pick up a wood splitter from my dad in August. He’s in Florissant, CO. There is a decent chance I’m pulling an empty trailer up there from DFW just to load this splitter in to. If that turns out to be the case, and a D30 housing was sourceable in the DFW area, I’d probably be willing to pick it up and meet you in Colorado Springs in August.
I appreciate that offer Resharp, and it's very coincidental that you're going to Florrisant. My dad lives up in the hills there. I called several local 4X4 shops about that too, and drive line shops. They didn't have squat, which surprised me too. However, I managed to find a used 30 on craigslist for $300. It has been trussed and gusseted to boot. Not that I intend on doing heavy wheeling with my JK. Just added extra support is nice. I was going to say make sure you hit Rudy's before you head up the mountain, but you've got plenty of those in Texas. Still it's my favorite BBQ joint. If you got any free time Resharp try and get some fly fishing in!

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The outer axle tube seal is a relatively cheap and easy install, you don't pull the diff and only one wheel end.
You're talking like those Alloy USA seals you linked before yes? Any idea how easy it to remove those when I am ready to put the spare 30 in? I'd want to keep those for the revamped axle.

When I got this JK back from Pittsburgh I checked the diff oil level and it was pretty darn low, so I tossed some in. It's been about two weeks now and it seems like the leak has stopped??? It's odd I admit because I was jamming a shop towel into the knuckle when I would park it, so as not to leave heavy oil all over my garage and work parking lot.

Last edited by Seizer; 07-17-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Derp a derp
Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Seizer
I appreciate that offer Resharp, and it's very coincidental that you're going to Florrisant. My dad lives up in the hills there. I called several local 4X4 shops about that too, and drive line shops. They didn't have squat, which surprised me too. However, I managed to find a used 30 on craigslist for $300. It has been trussed and gusseted to boot. Not that I intend on doing heavy wheeling with my JK. Just added extra support is nice. I was going to say make sure you hit Rudy's before you head up the mountain, but you've got plenty of those in Texas. Still it's my favorite BBQ joint. If you got any free time Resharp try and get some fly fishing in!
Small world! My pops is off Saddleback Creek Dr. up in the hills. I'm not one to just sit around, so when I go to his place I'm always out and about. I've hit a lot of the trails out in Teller county and to the west. I've got trail maps printed and laminated for about everything within 2 hours of him....LOL. Different than the typical wheelin' I do down here as in not as aggressive, but I enjoy being in nature in general so it's all good.

That's a good price on a D30 housing, much less with some amor already on it. Should be a good project for you.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Small world! My pops is off Saddleback Creek Dr. up in the hills. I'm not one to just sit around, so when I go to his place I'm always out and about. I've hit a lot of the trails out in Teller county and to the west. I've got trail maps printed and laminated for about everything within 2 hours of him....LOL.
My pop is off Bison Creek Trl, technically (cause he likes to correct me) in Divide. Well if you got any free time you can show me the ropes of trailing in Teller, or maybe even hit 11 Mile for some fishing. My dad loves to fly fish too, if you found any honey holes up there, he'd sing you praises. I do however have work stuff that's going to require me to be in Lincoln, NE approximately Aug. 5 - 15. If you and your dad are interested shoot me a PM. Take it easy.

Quick Reply: Front Axles?