Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front passenger upper Control Arm

Old 04-23-2019, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
The "problem" bolt is frame side. The problem is once you get the nut off the bolt, you don't have enough clearance to remove the bolt. You pull it out and it hits the exhaust.
Interesting. I had to go look at mine because I remember them being relatively easy to loosen. I now see the problem. I think if it became too difficult to remove, I would be tempted to cut the bolt and get a replacement then reverse the bolt on install, so the nut is on the exhaust side. However I think those nuts have those jam bars on them. Might have to cut that off as well if reversing the bolt.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Interesting. I had to go look at mine because I remember them being relatively easy to loosen. I now see the problem. I think if it became too difficult to remove, I would be tempted to cut the bolt and get a replacement then reverse the bolt on install, so the nut is on the exhaust side. However I think those nuts have those jam bars on them. Might have to cut that off as well if reversing the bolt.
This is what I did. Cut it and replace it going in the opposite direction.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I've got a spare bolt, I just didn't have the SawzAll. I started with a hacksaw but the bolt kept spinning on me so I quickly torqued it back up and said I will try again.

There is no specialty bolt on these like the drivers side its a straight up bolt and nut so I may just cut the thing unless someone on here says its not the right way to repair it. How can jeep be so crazy to make it like this?! lol
Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EHarris
I've got a spare bolt, I just didn't have the SawzAll. I started with a hacksaw but the bolt kept spinning on me so I quickly torqued it back up and said I will try again.

There is no specialty bolt on these like the drivers side its a straight up bolt and nut so I may just cut the thing unless someone on here says its not the right way to repair it. How can jeep be so crazy to make it like this?! lol
Many repair items get overlooked. If it doesn't cause a problem in their assembly process then it's all good to them and the exhaust likely gets installed after the control arms.

I don't use a sawzall to cut bolts, too difficult. I use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel. The HF $10 angle grinder which included a cut-off wheel the last time I bought one will go through that bolt with very little effort and will be able to get in there easier since it's smaller than a sawzall.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I have both a cut off wheel, angle grinder and even a plasma cutter lol.

I just looked like both would be a tight fit where a long metal blade of a sawz all would be easiest.

I'll try the cut off wheel first.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EHarris
I have both a cut off wheel, angle grinder and even a plasma cutter lol.

I just looked like both would be a tight fit where a long metal blade of a sawz all would be easiest.

I'll try the cut off wheel first.
my experience with a sawzall for bolts is that the blade is constantly biting in and kicking back. I use that more for construction and cutting into and down walls. At least that's then my personal experience and preference uses.

Tighter locations I'll grab one of those multi vibrating tools with a saw attachment, but I much prefer the angle grinder and only resort to the vibrating if absolutely necessay. For example, when one of my lower maniflold bolts was broken and needed to squeeze between the block and manifold.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-25-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Front passenger upper Control Arm